Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that last pic is magic even though its a little light in print the suggestion on that snakes face is classic... its like if it could talk saratoga its saying to you "Come on punk make my day!!!" love it :)

Hi Fraser

David has given you some good advice above.

I would just add that you need to be quiet and observant. Walk much much slower than you normally would and scan around well in front of you. You can see reptiles any time of the day but I agree with David that early mornings are better....animals will often be lying outside their hides(logs, crevices, tussocks etc) soaking up some sun. Once they warm up they are much more likely to dissappear if they sense you coming, often before you even see them.

I regularly use a pair of binoculars to scan good looking areas in front of me....but it is still very easy to overlook things. I get a great buzz out of looking somewhere and finding things just with the binoculars. If you decide to buy a pair sometime...make sure that you get ones that will focus closely...mine will focus on something only 1.7m away so great for watching things.

Don't go blundering through the thickest bush or longest grass looking for things....anything that's there you will only scare away. Try and follow a track or natural openings.....reptiles will often use these as well as they offer access to the sunlight. Mixed or patchy environments are also very good......where bush meets farmland, where a rock outcrop meets a river etc.

After a while you will get a feel for the "right sorts of places" but then reptiles can and do turn up just about anywhere to surprise you!

Also never go herping without a pressure bandage in your pocket, and if you are looking under cover(rocks, logs etc) always put them back exactly how you found them.

good luck and we expect to see some posts of your trips!

cheers

Greg

Hi Saratoga, thanks for all the pics and info - great stuff. The link to the paper is excellent too; utterly fascinating reading and would help people like Fraser. I guess that most of what they have discovered from their research with Browns would also apply to many other reptiles to some degree?
Good work :D

well done greg! Still got to head out wtih you some day. I found a few little dragons and a bluey out on a herp over the weekend. If you want to get some lizard shots I know a few good locations as I've told you before. great shots yet again.

Cheers,
Mark

Awsome photos...

There's a few browns around the west of Melbourne, out past Melton.

Per

I've seen a place like this in somerton, the place is closed off and noisy. A block in a concreet jungle.

Greg, that place is probably one of the most reliable to see Browns.
I walk out into the middle of the reserve away from the lake and flying area.
Used to be a good spot for Delma impair but the last one i saw was about 8 years ago and it was a dried, mummified specimen.
Ads

Hey where abouts in Melbourne was that? i live on the mornington peninsula and im fairly new to herping don't know where to look lol.

everywhere on the mornington peninsula youll find snakes, ive caught copperheads tigers browns everything is there herp paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back