mesh vivariums

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_mike

Reaction score
Im in the process of packing up house prior to moving north to Tennant Creek for 3 months - en route to Darwin. just looking at the size of my enclosure and the amount of stuff that will need to go in the ute and just considering options.

Can anyone think of a reason that I cant get away with using an oz mesh vivarium for 3 months. Heating shouldnt be too much of an issue - I could throw a heating mat and thermostat underneath but ambient temperature should be ok, unless I get too carried away with the aircon.

Its for a nearly fully grown approx 1.8m darwin carpet.

I realise that this is a bit suboptimal and I probably shouldnt keep reptiles if I have a transient lifestyle, but in my defense I wasnt expecting to be sent to Tennant Creek.

alternatively if you think this is crazy and you know someone who sells cheap flat pack enclosures could you pm me? thanks

The only problem I could see with that would be if there were dogs or something that had access to it, who could damage the enclosure.

The Mesh enclosures are good for 3 months depending on how often you are opening and closing them as I have seen them wear very quickly. Just make sure they are on a firm base and you have something to catch your snakes "business" in otherwise it can get messy very quickly.

Just keep a close eye your Darwin doesn't rub his nose up and down the mesh all the time otherwise you can end up with an issue very quickly as well.

If it helps, I have had 4 of mine in mesh enclosures for the past 4 months while I fix up and finish up their enclosures and they have been fine.

[QUOTE
If it helps, I have had 4 of mine in mesh enclosures for the past 4 months while I fix up and finish up their enclosures and they have been fine.[

massive help, thanks, both SniperCap and Disintegratus. No dogs, was going to keep him indoors. SniperCap did you need any form of heating?

massive help, thanks, both SniperCap and Disintegratus. No dogs, was going to keep him indoors. SniperCap did you need any form of heating?

None what so ever mate. I very rarely use aircon so that could be a factor? The only thing I did find was during the dry when the humidity was low, a couple of my snakes had shedding issues. A misting every day with water improved the situation though.

One thing I did like about the mesh setup was how easy it was to move my guys outside for a few hours of sun during the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back