Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aww yeah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i am trying to breed mice to feed my snakes. at first i got five and they all died. 1m and 1f, 2f and 1 m. then the male with 1f died, put the f in the other tub and she died. someone said it could be because he smelled the other male on her, then another one died and the others ate its eyeballs out, then the other two died two days in a row. so i thought that maybe they got too cold so i put the next three on a heat mat. then i came home and two were missing when i asked my housemate she said that there was only 2 and one woz dead and had it eyeballs eaten out. i dont know where the other went. then 1 wk later i came home and the other one was gone. they are kept in one of those plastic fish tranks with the colourewd lids there cant be any possible way they are getting out. aside from that why are they all dying? any help would be great

That sounds weird to me.Mice will eat each other if they run out of food and you need to keep them warm when it is cold cold.

My mice disappeared aswell, i had 2 of them, both males though.
Maybe a cat ate them?

I've had some weird things happen like that, I breed mice now only to satisy one little jungle python. Generally I find if you check there food and water every other day they breed like wild fire. so question would be are you checking there drinking bottle for blokages and what sort of feed are you giving them, feed is somethin I check every few day but if you have 5 or 6 it should be everyday

hmmmm............i used to breed thousands of mice....that never happened to me

yeh they will eat each other for either lack of food or lack of calcium. depends on what you are feeding her. those fish tank things can be dodgy iv seen rats push up the little lids and i take it mice, with the way they jump and climb could do the same.
heres a pic of one of my rat and mice tubs
just make the lid with a feeder in it and keep food in theer 24/7.

mice also chew their food up when they are bored so the feeder makes it hard for them and it keeps them occupied and they eat when they are hungry.

Last edited:
yeah they sound hugery to me as well, i've found mouse bodies in cages without them being eaten but these mice had piles of food and water, i;ve only seen cronic eating like that when they're out of food or water. could just be that a virus went through them and they ate the dead (pretty normal in the wild). did they become syptomatic of anything before death?

breeding mice

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This is my out door set up
it dose the trick and i havent had to buy mice since i started.
plenty of water and food.

Last edited:
thanks for your responses, they always have food fresh fruit and veg scraps and lucerne, a few weird things have happened like one of me snakes dissapeared out of her enclosure even though it was locked and the bird eating spider dissapeared eack time something has happened my ex housemate has come home during the day while im not there. i have only ever found 1 dead semi eaten mouse. im giving it another go i have 2f and 1m so fingers crossed. also those setups may not work coz i have cats so i need containers that lock or seal so the lid cant be knocked off

you need to provide a high protien diet to prevent canabalism, get on to rat and mouse cubes
as they contain a balanced diet for rodent breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back