Micro managing!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurto

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
From time to time I get a few calls asking me for advice to do with keeping pythons. Of which I am generally happy to pass on the small amount of knowledge I have on the subject. Though I seem to be noticing a trend with people wanting to be so damn precise in every little aspect of their husbandry. Whether it be to do with heating, lighting, shedding etc.

After a number of years, a few different species and some epic failures with to do with heat sources, I've found snakes generally look after themselves when you provide the basics.

I just curious how many people try to manage every tiny little aspect of their snakes day? And is it really worth the time spent doing so??

Well, I usually check the snakes BODY temps about once every month or 2 during the cooler months. I hear people going on about temperature gradients ect, not interested. The snakes have heat at one end and I don't care what temp the other end is.

It seems to be a trend with newcomers who are not really herpers... the pet reptile fraternity. A major irritation for me is the perceived need to sterilise every damned thing they put in their enclosures, even branches and decorations. People who don't have a basic understanding of reptiles and their true needs are almost impossible to convince that they actually live very well with minimal input from us, as long as, as you say, we provide them with the basics suitable for their way of life.

It's a bit like the notion that milk comes from containers in the supermarket, rather than from cows, or real peas come from the freezer - many reptile keepers haven't a clue about why snakes do what they do because they are so far removed from 'snake reality'. If they spent a bit of time on research before getting their animal/s, I'm sure a lot more reptiles would live longer, more comfortable lives.

Jamie.

Well, I usually check the snakes BODY temps about once every month or 2 during the cooler months. I hear people going on about temperature gradients ect, not interested. The snakes have heat at one end and I don't care what temp the other end is.

Ditto, 'digestion spot' and ambient, not a believer of the whole gradient thing,
spot clean if needed between the weekly clean out,
fresh water daily,
fed 7 - 10 days.
and cuddles once or twice a week,
They are all thriving so I must be doing something right !

Ditto, 'digestion spot' and ambient, not a believer of the whole gradient thing,
spot clean if needed between the weekly clean out,
fresh water daily,
fed 7 - 10 days.
and cuddles once or twice a week,
They are all thriving so I must be doing something right !

"fresh water daily" can I come and live at your place???????
Mine get water on a 7/7 cycle, i.e. 7 days with and 7 days without......why, well I guess I'm lazy and I've been doing it that way for many years.

Makes perfect sense Devil, and is a very workable system. However, although we haven't been permitted to see the final draft, here in NSW the bureaucrats will probably soon attempt to enforce laws which will make it illegal, for even the most experienced herpers, to exercise a choice about how they manage their animals.

How many snakes in the bush have access to water 24/7? Indeed, how many snakes have access to water, even on a weekly basis, year-round in the bush? Like... none...

Sorry, a bit off topic...

Jamie.

My 20+ snakes seem to do ok with minimal input from me. None of my enclosures have thermostats and work quite happily on $2.50 timers.

supply the basic needs food water clean there cage once a week give them something to climb on check the temps in there hot end are right no need to get every specific detail perfect mine are doing are fine

"fresh water daily" can I come and live at your place???????
Mine get water on a 7/7 cycle, i.e. 7 days with and 7 days without......why, well I guess I'm lazy and I've been doing it that way for many years.

I only change it daily cos i don't like the idea that they may be drinking something other than water, and i've had a lot of people say they want to 'come back' as a python at my place, i dont do small enclosures they all have ( or about to have) plenty of stretch room

My 20+ snakes seem to do ok with minimal input from me. None of my enclosures have thermostats and work quite happily on $2.50 timers.

+1 - no thermostats, just heat cord 24/7 but they are from the North and forced to live in the chilly Adelaide Hills but having said that, i have seen my 2 1/2 year old coastal curled up on her branch nowhere near her heat when the ambient temp is 10c or less... she knows what temp she wants so i leave her to it...

with the the no thermostats theory, what about click clacks.

I only use my thermostates in them because the tank is so little.

with the the no thermostats theory, what about click clacks.

I only use my thermostates in them because the tank is so little.

i currently house 5 juvi's in 15L tubs (about to be upsized) with a 50w heat cord heating all 5, again no thermostat, I prefer cord to mats, i find it easier to manage heat distribution. Not everyone agrees with no thermostat, but it works for me and many others, my theory is if the cord fails,without a thermostat, the worse that can happen is a cold snake, if a thermostat is attached to a high heat source and the thermostat fails you can risk a cooked snake... i know what i'd prefer,

Lol there are people weighing their snakes and the food to make sure they are feeding their pythons the exact right amount every time Lol

cheers
Scott

"fresh water daily" Mine get water on a 7/7 cycle, i.e. 7 days with and 7 days without......why, well I guess I'm lazy and I've been doing it that way for many years.

can you elaborate on the 7/7 cycle i am not sure if you are meaning - day one put in water and leave until day 7 then remove water and then leave enclosure for another 7 days without water.

or

through the water 7 day cycle do you replace water daily or top up as needed.

Also is this 7/7 cyle throughout the twelve months or does it vary depending on season. I am curious as i do a something simalar.

I am with you and believe water is a unpredictable resource to reptiles and they do not have access 24/7.

Cheers Brad

7 days with 7 days without. i know alot of keepers that do this.... i just top mine up as needed.

you are right, it is an unpredictable resource for them but i find it easier to just leave the bowls in there and fill em when they're dry. some people are way too fussy

you are right, it is an unpredictable resource for them but i find it easier to just leave the bowls in there and fill em when they're dry. some people are way too fussy

That's all I do.. Fill em' up when they're dry!

can you elaborate on the 7/7 cycle i am not sure if you are meaning - day one put in water and leave until day 7 then remove water and then leave enclosure for another 7 days without water.

or

through the water 7 day cycle do you replace water daily or top up as needed.

Also is this 7/7 cyle throughout the twelve months or does it vary depending on season. I am curious as i do a something simalar.

I am with you and believe water is a unpredictable resource to reptiles and they do not have access 24/7.

Cheers Brad

I thought I had explained the water bit fairly clearly. What I do is on a Saturday I take all the water bowls OUT, they all go through the dishwasher and the following Friday, Saturday or Sunday I put the bowls back in the cages and fill them up.

So that means for 7 days they have water in their cages and the following 7 days they are without water, then 7 days with water and 7 without water ect ect.

People who don't have a basic understanding of reptiles and their true needs are almost impossible to convince that they actually live very well with minimal input from us, as long as, as you say, we provide them with the basics suitable for their way of life.

Jamie.

I understand what your saying Jamie. Any members who may be interested in some information about their snakes.. Id recommend this book - "Australian Snakes - A Natural History" by Richard Shine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back