Microchip snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the size of a PIT tag, so the snake is pretty small.

i-qNLP2zd-M.jpg

Only a few years ago the issuing authority for Demonstrator Licences in Qld demanded I get all my snakes tagged
Said that it was going to be mandatory in future

Part of the reason I walked away

A member from this site was required to chip some hoplo's and as a result due to poor practices lost his reasonable uncommon and rather expensive elapid!

My boss at the mouse facility where I used to work was looking into developing reusable chips for the mice - we already used a scanning system they have/are developing (it's amazing, even tho I left the place I would use that program for all my animals if it was available to the public), however, instead of RFID chips we had to use ear tags (not plastic tags, but punches out of the ears) to identify each animal. If a chip could be made for something the size of a mouse, he would have implemented it regardless of cost, I just think we are still at a lower level of technology, but it will come in time.
I would have my animals chipped for peace of mind more than anything else, tho if readers were available for the owner, imagine the level of book keeping - and how much easier sending in our record books would be. Hmm, anyone want to write up a proposal to DECC?

If a snake went missing and someone found it, I highly doubt theyd take it to the vet and get it scanned to see if its a lost pet.

It MAY have a slight advantage for record keeping for breeders like people said, but its expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back