Microchopping & register

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like to read the thread with the broadheads, don't suppose anyone could pretty please tell me the title?
I've been trying to find it on this site via google but with no luck,

thank you to anyone who knows!

Casey

I dont beleive anyone who has been in the hobby for more than a day is stupid enough to think a breeders register of the sort waterrat has eluded to would work.

sorry mate did i hit a sore point as you have only been breeding since 05 yet you claim your own line and do certificates to say so...

You even got the 2005 wrong. So, what's your game - upsetting people? This is your 4th post, you're scoring well.

I had a look at all you posts (all 5 on them) - nothing but criticism and stirring. You are a champion!

Last edited:
" I was mainly referring to a reptile breeders register that I believe is in preparation or has been suggested as a step into the future"

A breeders register could work
As an example...Look at some of the jungles on here or any other reptile trading place
How many thousands of Palmerston Jungles are advertised each year
How many are top animals??
Once youve been in the game for a while you get to know these breeders if you want jungles
But if you loved BHPs for example and then decided to find top jungles you are walking into a minefield because you have no real prior knowledge
Locale specific reptiles will get rarer and rarer as this industry grows
That will also increase their value and for anyone to be able to simply look at a list of breeders who have good stock will be very handy
Ive said this before but look at international sites for locale specific Aussie reptiles and prepare to burst out laughing at their so called pure animals
In saying all of this I really dont care about bloodlines or anything else because I select on temperament

Qld DEC?? suggest to all their mobile demonstrators that micro chipping is a good idea
But Im not sure if they have ever tried to enforce it
Until this thread I had no idea it could be so damaging so that in itself makes today worth while

Someone suggested tattooing a scale but Ive never heard of that before
Sounds interesting but who will tattoo a big angry scrubby

Honesty will have to play a huge role if this ever does decide to get off the ground

I just read the thread about the microchipping of the Broad Headed Snakes and it is the most upsetting thread I have read in a long time. My kids were looking at me saying 'whats wrong Mum'

To see those pics of those tiny snakes being microchipped etc was just so upsetting and then to hear the outcome was just so devestating.

There must be some other way of identifying snakes other than using a tag like that and subjecting snakes to that sort of trauma and risk.

I am so sorry for Jack really really sad

If there is anything good to come of this thread it is the education that we have a long way to go regarding ways to identify reptiles...that what works with mammals does not work with reptiles....

I do hope that this does not become part of the mainstream because I know what I will be doing if it does and I wont be microchipping my snakes using the PIT method

an associate professor of veterinary science performed an autopsy on my broadhead. the animal died from an infection of the liver 3 weeks post chipping, two syringe extractions of blood and numerous scales hacked off with scissors. the bacterial species cultured was one that is not found in the digestive tracts of snakes and was introduced to the animal via one of the trauma sites.
the person heading the broad head recovery project responsible for this has been moved to another project.
i will be lucky to get reimbursed for the expensive autopsy, let alone any compensation for the animal.
to put it in perspective, there are only ten of these animals legally held in NSW, compare that to the number of supposedly valuable GTP's, which shows how unfortunate the loss of this female was to the hobby.
thanks to all for the sympathy.

PIT tagging is a joke

I just read the thread about the microchipping of the Broad Headed Snakes and it is the most upsetting thread I have read in a long time.

Very sad indeed - and frustrating because it was a totally unnecessary procedure on an endangered species imposed by the authorities who are supposed to be protecting our wildlife. To afterwards have to deal with those same authorities to try to get some compensation must rub salt into the wound.

My sympathies, Jack.

Last edited:
What surprises me is that even people who should know the dangers of PIT tags used in reptiles are saying there is no other way to mark reptiles (e.g. Viridis).
There is no way at all. The old method of scale-clipping is as barbaric as toe clipping in frogs and current technology is not advanced enough to come up with smaller PITs. So, can we accept that a register of individual reptiles in a pie in the sky?
In case of government agencies insisting on PIT tagging reptiles, like in Jack's case, I would think we could object to and refuse such action on the basis that they would have to obtain Animal Ethics Committee's approval first. I am not sure about this but when I proposed the use of PIT tags in my projects, the "necessity of use" this marking methods was always questioned and I had to satisfy the Committee that there is other method available. Why should the wildlife authorities be exempt from such scrutiny?

Just to get some idea how thick the needle is - this is a loaded syringe with the PIT. Ordinary pen in the background.
What has also been left out of the discussion is the fact that anybody receiving a PIT tagged animal will have make a trip to the vet to have the ID confirmed. PIT tag scanners are quite expensive, I think they cost somewhere around $1500.-, so it's not the sort of thing one would want to buy.

1261150474_HDV8BLV-M.jpg

Last edited:
What surprises me is that even people who should know the dangers of PIT tags used in reptiles are saying there is no other way to mark reptiles (e.g. Viridis).
QUOTE]

Never did I say that it should be done, it a joke that it is done by Parks & Wildlife, let alone for a elitest wannabe register.

How did you think that you were going to I.D neonate Chondros for your proposal Michael?

You started this thread, then deleated most of your posts and made snide childish remarks at other members that you deleated.

Not even once did you try and contribute any actual answers to questions and all you have achieved is..............well....nothing much!

Unless you have an example of how you would I.D animals for the B.R, why fill APS pages full of dribble. There is enough rubbish on this forum from idiotic posts like 'help me name my spotted python' that experienced herps like yourself should post informative answers to serious questions. Like the method of I.Ding animals that you keep dodging!

You seem to think that you are high and mighty with your opinions Michael. Unfortunatly when all of us log on to the world wide web, any elite status that one may think they have is swept under the rug. Your opinion, my opinion and anyone else who posted in the thread are worth as much as any other person posting on the internet.

Repeatedly dodging important questions and trying to belittle other keepers will get you no where mate.

Climb down of the ladder you put yourself up on and go back to voicing your opinions like the majority of helpful & experienced keepers on here.

You made a snide remark that I should go back to writing field herping articles, well you too should go back to writing care sheets for animals as at least they might help someone down the track.

In your very own words that I have read so often on APS once you get worked up................."I am going to simply leave this dialog" or should it be "I think this thread should be closed" or maybe as you often put it simply "Enough said"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick, I wouldn't even bother replying to you long-winded nonsense.

Have a happy Easter

Never did I say that it should be done, it a joke that it is done by Parks & Wildlife, let alone for a elitest wannabe register.

How did you think that you were going to I.D neonate Chondros for your proposal Michael?

You started this thread, then deleated most of your posts and made snide childish remarks at other members that you deleated.

Not even once did you try and contribute any actual answers to questions and all you have achieved is..............well....nothing much!

Unless you have an example of how you would I.D animals for the B.R, why fill APS pages full of dribble. There is enough rubbish on this forum from idiotic posts like 'help me name my spotted python' that experienced herps like yourself should post informative answers to serious questions. Like the method of I.Ding animals that you keep dodging!

You seem to think that you are high and mighty with your opinions Michael. Unfortunatly when all of us log on to the world wide web, any elite status that one may think they have is swept under the rug. Your opinion, my opinion and anyone else who posted in the thread are worth as much as any other person posting on the internet.

Just because you threw a few bucks at APS to sponser the site, does not mean that you can decide on when threads should be shut or when you feel a topic has strayed of track. This is the moderators job, and as it stands, you are not one of them. Repeatedly dodging important questions and trying to belittle other keepers will get you no where mate.

Climb down of the ladder you put yourself up on and go back to voicing your opinions like the majority of helpful & experienced keepers on here.

You made a snide remark that I should go back to writing field herping articles, well you too should go back to writing care sheets for animals as at least they might help someone down the track.

In your very own words that I have read so often on APS once you get worked up................."I am going to simply leave this dialog" or should it be "I think this thread should be closed" or maybe as you often put it simply "Enough said"

as for deleting posts etc i see it on other forums where people make remarks then are too gutless to leave comments up for future people to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick, I wouldn't even bother replying to you long-winded nonsense.

Have a happy Easter

Bahahahhaha You just did!

Perhaps I am just being touchy after being isolated for 14 weeks due to the wet season. Once the roads to the real world open, I will rarely use APS again until next wet season so you can go back to inforcing your opinions on people without my childish baiting. Until the 2012 wet season Michael, Cheers!

lol exactly the comment i thought i would get. You want me to go and get what? too many nice things could be put there. Go and get a cold refreshment? Thanks for being so thoughtful.

If ya ever in western sydney send me a pm so u can knock on my door, i couldnt be bothered heading to NQ

Breeders register, I'm laughing so hard right now. Doomed for failure from the outset. There is far to much miss- trust, jealousy and ego's to satisfy such a scheme. What makes someone more worthy than for this list than anyone else? Reputations are earned by the way you treat your customers. If you satisfy them they keep coming back. Your name on a list might get you a first timer sale, but if your generally an f-Witt and carry on like a galah in public, the whole group will go down with you. Next we will have amature dopes trying to police the system, by invite only. I'll continue to keep laughing hard while the egos surface. Meanwhile I'll do what I do and keep selling my animals with the extra services I give and rarely even advertise. 90% of my business is repeat customers.

As for microchipping, I agree whole heartedly, it's a butchers practice and would kill every neonate and without it, the whole register is doomed for failure.

Why fix what is not broken? Give people more credit, they are able to weed through the BS in this hobby.

Gird

I agree with this too.. just because you may have your name on some BS list means nothing and its the quality of the animals you sell and the help and back up service you provide before & after a sale that's important to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back