Mini-fridge incubator help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.K

Reaction score
I just snagged a perfect condition mini fridge that i'm gonna use as an incubator.
I have my theories on how i'm gonna go about setting it up but was also interested whether any of you guys already had one that has been successful and could help me with some ideas. Pics would be tops too.

Cheers

Kris \m/

I have two incubators, the first is a timber one, works OK, I use it for beardies and the like. The other is a small bar fridge with a 9m heat cord on a microclimate pulse proportional thermostat, works really well. Holds temp to around .5 of a deg c variation. I have run the cord all around the inside of the fridge walls and onto the floor.

One thing I saw at Taronga Zoo which impressed me:

They used a standard fridge, but they had fitted an inner door made of perspex. That way, they could still open the door, but the heat doesn't escape, and they can check the status of the eggs without disturbing the temp. Neat! ;-)

They did didn't they Lutzd, I had forgotten about that. I have some spare perspex outside in the garage, I will have to do the same thing I think. :D:D:D

I was thinking about cutting a panel into the roof or door and then adding a perspex panel, but what lutzd said sounds pretty appealing. A mate of mine uses a mini fridge but his looks like the poo i reckon. I want mine to look good as well as enable me to minimise my temp fluctuations as little as possible, and also to do the job properly. Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I am really interested in what would be the preferred heat source for an incubator too, as well as the types of thermostats (probe?), fan use, etc.
Ive read a few articles on it all but i think the more opinions i gather on it the better set up i can establish?

Heatmats or heat cord definitely the ideal heat source, far more reliable than anything else and give a better spread of heat. I think you MUST use a good quality (Microclimate or Habistat) probe thermostat.

I mounted a light in my incubator and put dual pane viewing windows in the door to check things out. (Actually all I did was use a hole saw to create a viewing window and put perspex on either side of the whole. Cheap, simple and effective!)

I'm building one at the moment using a regular fridge withe a microclimate thermostat and the longest available heat cord.I'll be cutting a window into the door and putting perspex in for the same thing as lutzy mentioned.Also make sure you wire you're fan to the stat so it turns down when the heat cord does as even a small fan can generate a fair amont of heat.This is what i'm doing and am thinking it should work well.'ll just wrap the heat cord all through the fridge and racks all over the place but making sure to leave plenty of room for incubating containers.From what i have gathered the microclimate and heat cord are the way to go..

If anyone has pics, instructions on building an incubator or links to a great website, I too would like this info. Thanks :)

RE: Inc Pics

I use a microclimate stat (with alarm) and 2x 9m heat cords.
There were 2-3 degree fluctuations when I used it - which the supplier told me was caused buy the humid weather we were having in Melb at the time.
This year I am thinking of keeping the stat IN the fridge so that it's not getting any variations.
I keep a fridge exactly like this in a the garage (the the microclimate and 2x heat cords) for roaches. The stat is IN the fridge and the temps have been perfectly stable for the past few months.
Good Luck :D

If you are going to put a perspex viewing window in either use 10mm thick perspex or "double glaze" it to avoid heat loss through a single layer. I also found that you should set your thermostat to read temp inside a false incubation chamber (a tub filled with vermiculite) rather than air temp and it will control it far more precisely

Hi Tim, (or URS), Checked for the Thermo Plust stat your page mentions but couldn't find it, is there another name for it?
Cheers,
Phil.

Re: RE: Inc Pics

africancichlidau said:
Hi Tim, (or URS), Checked for the Thermo Plust stat your page mentions but couldn't find it, is there another name for it?
Cheers,
Phil.

G day Phil,

It is meant to say Thermostat Plus, this product is in the thermostat section product code 03.02

I will get one of the girls in the office to fix it later. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards Tim
www.ultimatereptiles.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back