Mirror in snake enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Choco

Reaction score
Snakes aren't like other animals and get stressed easier so I have no intention of doing this just to find out but does anyone know what a snake does if it sees its own reflection or has a mirror put in with it?

Can they see their own reflection given the nature of their eyesight?

You've all probably seen how funny it is to watch other animals - like birds think its another bird and dogs try to figure out why "the other dog" move the same way and bark at it.

Then you have the dogs that don't even notice it or care...
I was wondering the same thing aswell, as I have just rescued some furniture that I would like to transform into some enclosures but it has a mirrored wall.

Snakes aren't like other animals and get stressed easier so I have no intention of doing this just to find out but does anyone know what a snake does if it sees its own reflection or has a mirror put in with it?

Can they see their own reflection given the nature of their eyesight?

You've all probably seen how funny it is to watch other animals - like birds think its another bird and dogs try to figure out why "the other dog" move the same way and bark at it.
all my dragons appear to chase their reflections in the glass im not sure about snakes though.

My snakes couldn't care less.

All my Brown Tree Snakes have mirrors in their enclosures. They don't treat their reflections as another snake, they don't react to them in any way. I do see them watching me in it though, so they are aware of it.

I have used the enclosures for pythons in the past and they couldn't care less either. There has been no stressing or feeding issues at all. Other than watching me in it when they can't be bothered turning their heads, the mirrors may as well not be there.

my carpet just goes up and flickers her tongue at her reflection... Elephants however will rub a spot off of themselves if you put a spot on their forehead and show them in a mirror :D

my bredli seems pretty interested in his reflection,...he always checks himself out when hes in the bathroom. :) tehn gets bored and moves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back