Mites anyone?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! As I've never had mites, I really don't know what they look like.

However, my two maccies (in one cage) have been soaking in their water dish for the last couple of days.

One I could understand, as he may be coming up on a shed. But I thought two was a bit suspicious.

I drained the waterbowl onto a paper towel and had a look under my son's microscope, and the resulting videos show a couple of tiny bugs. However, they could be just dust mites - I wouldn't know! :oops:

I was wondering if some of the more experienced herpers out there could take a look and give me an opinion - probably need broadband. Sorry for the lack of focus - it's really a toy (Intel).... :oops:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

lutz they look like mites to me but i could be wrong cause i've never had mites problem myself. but the way they were moving and the shape of them i would say they are.

looks a bit odd, although i've never seen mites myself either, wouldn't hurt to give them a spray anyway

Yeah, I've done that as a precaution, but really wanted an ID if possible. I'll spray the rest of the house if I get a positive ID - TOD is too expensive to waste unnecessarily..... although I guess $25 is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.... :cry:

Yeah, you're probably right. I was going to do it before the gathering at the zoo over the long weekend, but got little in the way of a response when I offered to share the cost. I picked up a can from the pet shop in Gosford as I had run out. I think you're right though - I'll order 6 or so. If anyone DOES want to share the cost, I'll bring a few cans with me to the zoo gathering.

God! Looking at those things under the microscope makes me itchy! :shock:

I found a link to a picture of a dust mite, which looks awfully like the one in my video :

http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/dustmite/

Done deal - Thanks Greg. I reckon it's worth it in the long run - you talked me into it, I'll order some tomorrow.

In the meantime, in the interests of helping out others who may have similar problems, I found heaps of links to mite information by typing MITES + REPTILES in Google. Gives a wealth of info. One article I read says they range in colour from red to black (http://www.igniche.com/mites.htm) with photos. But that might be in America. Can anyone confirm colours in Australia?

hay lutzdy
without a clear microscopic image it is hard to see which sort of mite this is......
is the mites on paper?
i can talk you through how to doit with a clearer image if you like but at the moment it looks like a bug moving and some cells and some paper

Someone with experience with mites (poor buggers) should stop by soon and be able to help a bit more, if only with a description. I can't say i've ever found any kind of mites in my snake's water bowls, it could be bad news!! Have you found anything checking the snakes themselves?

It's a bit of snake skin on a paper towel - best I could do with inadequate equipment. :oops:

its all good lutzdy
its just i could id it with my text books if the image was detailed enough

i agree with sam on this one

Never seen mites either lutzd but i had the same worry the other day. Checked all the brown specs in the water bowl under my microscope & they turned out to be bark & 1 bit of fluff. phew lol

I put leaves & bark from outside in my vivariums. No snakes in the area but lots of garden skinks & some bluetongues. Am I risking mite infection?

Thanks guys. Sam: No, but the little blighters won't sit still under the microscope for me (damned annoying of them) and my eyes ain't wot they used to be, so can't see small details. Sad, getting older, ain't it? :cry:

Don't know if Greg was offering. But I'm going to buy a dozen, so you're welcome to grab a couple, Jan!

Ahh mites.

Another exotic pest we have in Australia. Wonder which exotic animal they came into the country with.

Mites are fairly hard to spot at first. Once you know what you are looking for then it is much easier. I find it is good to use white waterbowls, the mites show really well against the white of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back