Mites anyone?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i personally don't think they are reptile mite because if they were you should be able to see them with the naked eye (maybe not you ageing people)lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but it is better to be safe then sorry!!!
TOD is very good and cheap if you buy it from the manufactures!!
good luck!!

They dont look like mites to me Lutz.
And if your animals were soaking themselves then you would expect to see a lot more than that under your microscope.

Silly question ... do snakes pick up mites when you have them out on the grass? I have always been a tad reluctant to let mine out the back incase she got mites.

If they are reptile mites youshould find some dead ones in the water. these are tiny black dots but clearly visible to the naked eye. I cant see mites without my glasses but I can see the little dead bloated suckers..
Its not known if they actually did come from overseas and if they did that thaey came on reptiles. They seem to be present on other animals as well.
I was using TOP until I got the predatory mites and things have been great for quite a while. Even my rats had them so introduce them to the rats as well and the bluey enclosure.
Highly recommended. I still use TOP on all new comers and keep a few can available.
Peter

Hey Dave, I've had the pleasure of mites after an ill 6ft coastal was given to me. As soon as the snakes enclosure hit 30+degress c their population just exploded.
They are a red to black colour and tend to be about the size of a flea when adult. However the young are invisable to the naked eye due to their microscopic size. Keeping this in mind it is hard to identify them at that stage.
One thing I learnt is if you have any animal that you think has mites then put plain white paper as substrate in the enclosure. Put only water dish and hide back in for furniture.
Remove the water dish, leaving the animal and hide in the enclosure, and spray with top of descent. Replace water dish.
On reinspection of the enclosure you may find little black spots on the white paper. If they can be squashed with your finger nail then you know for sure you have mites.
As for the ones in your film it's very hard to tell at that size. I would have thought they would show some colour other than being opaque so to speak.
Anyway I hope this helps cause I know how bad they can be.
Daz

Hey, We've been in touch with the TOD people(Callington) trying to buy it in bulk like a 5litre+ bottle that we can spray for mites(which we occasionally get - probably in the sawdust we get for the bedding for our rodents) - no darn reply worse luck. We can't afford to buy spray cans for $20-$25 per can. Need a bulk supply to make it worth our while. At least freezing the rodents kills the mites before the Reptiles get to eat em hey? Cheers Cheryl

Cheryl : I believe they only make one size. To buy in bulk you have to buy multiple cans.

Don't bother with ToD. Give Biological Services in SA a call, ask for a kilo of Hypoaspis mites. It will cost you around $40. Put a few teaspoons in each enclosure. A week later = no mites of any type. It's worked perfectly on my collection, and a mates collection of 50+ animals. No scrubbing, no nothing...so easy.

Cheryl. What they use is available through most pest contractors or their suppliers. You may need to get a permit but I think thta might be the way to go.
Peter

Well, they sure look like mites to me, added to the fact that the snakes are soaking....
At this time of year mites are slow to breed, so mite populations remain low. Adult snake mites are about 1/4mm long, visible to the naked eye, but only just. I use the 'pop' test; any thing found floating in the water is popped between my fingernails. If it 'pops' - it's a mite.

Thanks Magpie. I've played it safe, and have sprayed all enclosures and the room with TOD. Not taking any chances.

The thought did occur to me that they might be dust mites, as they are white in color. .... Doesn't matter! All precautions taken anyway! :)

Remember. If you use the hypoapsis mites. Dont forget and spray the enclosure.
I must be getting really old? is that an age spot on the back of my hand. Is that the back of my hand? Is it even my hand?
That reminds me of a joke but i cant tell it here.
Peter

Thanks for putting up the link, Peter. Have been looking for these for a while for my shingleback collection which was previously housed outside, and I'm just finding TOD not good enough for the amount of area that needs spraying and for 14 shinglebacks. As a few of them have 'colds' I didn't want to bath them in OM either, so the mites sound great to use. I thought I was going to have to have them in quarantine forever.

Thanks for the link. :D
~N

Hypoaspis (fungus gnat control)
"Hypoaspis is a predatory mite that lives near the soil surface and feeds on fungus gnat larvae and thrips pupae.
Hypoaspis are dispatched in an organic mixture that should be evenly scattered over the treatment area or spooned into the base of pots. The mites then migrate into the potting media and feed on soft bodied pests in the root zone." - from the site .
It says they feed on fungus gnat larvae and thrips pupae- nothing about other mites. It also says the mites migrate into the potting media (soil). I dont see how from this description that they would eradicate snake mite.

I'm amazed to see so many people posting saying they've never seen a mite! I've seen them in every Melbourne pet shop I've visited and most of them have mites most times I visit them. I've also had mites twice, once they came in on bluetongues and the second time on baby spotted pythons (in the second case I made the mistake of trusting a 'respected breeder with a good reputation', as if that would cause him not to have mites.
Anyway, TOD is absolutely brilliant and even if you get ripped off at $25 a can it is an absolute bargain and much better than anything else available (IMO). The herp shop in Melbourne sells it cheaply.
Those things in the video look like dust mites to me and not snake mites, but it's good to hear you thought it's better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back