Mixed species enclosure idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I just got a 1200x700x700 tank yesterday, its huge, could fit 4 people in it curled up. I am thinking of using it for a mixed species display tank using a couple of small dragon species from central aust. I will provide multiple basking spots and plenty of cover but small dragons are normally pretty non aressive. Think it could work?

not sure i dont have any dragons but bump because i would love to see the finish product if it worked ...

Be careful mixing dragon species, the tank you have described is an average tank, years ago a freind placed a mallee dragon in with a painted dragon, within an hour the mallee dragon was dead, his enclosure was 1200x600x600. Even though many species are found in the same location naturally this does not mean they can co-habitat, often you will find fighting and animals getting injured or worse still get killed. To house different species together you need to have a much larger space to provide escape areas for the different species.

It's generally not a great idea, but it can be done.
Rather than different dragon species, you may be able to house a couple of completely different species, like a bearded dragon and a shingleback or bluetongue.
You'll need to provide plenty of hiding places for both, and each animal needs to be big enough to defend itself against the other (eg almost fullgrown)

You've probably had more experience with small dragons than me hornet, but aren't all dragons aggressive?
I'd image a small dragon species with medium skinks like ctenotus and maybe a large gecko species would make a great mixed species display without as much risk of aggression between them.

Nah, pretty non agressive, i keep a pair of male cane grass dragons together with no probs. I see my beardies having little fights every now and them but the most the smaller species is do it chase, i havent wittnessed any biting or anything like that yet.

should be fine if you keep an eye on them for conflicts etc and put in enough hides etc for them all so they arent fighting over things like that. i have housed central netteds with young central beardies with no problems before. good luck.

What are cane grass dragons?

For your mixed enclosure, did you have any particular species in mind?

i kept jackys and southern water skinks together breifly,but they were not a good mixed species option as the jackys didnt like them,but i didnt keep them together long enough,your best bet is to keep different species that have different areas they prefer so there not competing as much,im sure jackys would do fine housed with small skinks to by the way,they just need to get used to it,i only had them together for 3 days as the jacky female would get super defensive and bite at any skink that got close to her

Cane grass are a tiny species, about 5-6cm svl. I'm thinking of housing either central millitary dragons or pebble mimmicing earless dragons with them which are also very small, under 5cm svl

Do you mean tympanocryptis cephalus? I have been looking for some hatchlings for ages, let me know if you find any!

Can you post photos of the cane grass dragons? I would love to see them.

Bad idea Hornet. Been there, tried that in many combination and almost always ends in tears.
The only ones I "have got away with" was netteds and sand swimmers and Tympanocryptis cephalus with Morethia boulengeri. Everything else had dramas eventually. I once had a 12 cm C. decresi eat a 14cm Ctenotus leonhardi. I have had Delma plebiae feast on Cryptoblepharus skinks that I thought would be good to fill that empty back wall. I have seen Tommy Round Heads eat Nobbi dragons of equal size in my pits. Never again. 1 species per enclosure.

thanks danny, was hoping someone with experience would get back to me. Might just go with a pair or trio of something and just use it as a nice big display tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back