Mobile Speed Cameras

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FAY

Well, these have just been rolled out in NSW.

I personally think it is just a revenue raiser and that to try and reduce the road toll is a load of crap.
Why I think that????

The Picton Road is a notorious black spot. From what I have been told...no mobile speed cameras there.

I don't agree with you on most things Fay :)P) but I couldn't agree more on this subject.. I have looked over the list of where they are supposedly going to be and there are a lot of roads which are more dangerous which are not on it..!

Also to get booked for going 4km/h over the limit is just ridiculous, one reason being, unless your car has just rolled out of the car showroom, no speedo' is 100% accurate.

It'll only be a matter of time Fay.

I believe (& someone correct me if I'm wrong), there are currently only 6 in operation in all NSW.
That's a lot of black spots to cover. I'm sure you'll see one there at some stage.

SamNabz, even a car direct from the factory are going to be 100% accurate.
I think the tolorance (quoting from memory......oh dear) is about 2-3kms + or -

But yes Fay, I have to agree with you. Especially with the amount of use it gets.
I have driven Picton Road a number of time and everytime I get to the otherside I start breathing again......

Sorry guy but the general rule of thumb taught to highway cops is 10%+3 so in a 100 zone its 113kph and mobile speed cameras is the same from what ive been told.... ....

Yes that is the general rule of thumb, but it's been in a lot of articles and on the radio plenty and all I have read/heard is that 4km/h over = booking.

Surely there's a police officer or 2 on this site who can shed some more light on this subject... :)

I agree with the revenue raising. I'd rather that than more tax. Don't speed and you wont contribute to the revenue raising ;)

It is all about the money, the Premier was heard saying exactly that, that these new cameras will bring the state alot more revenue each year. Under the law the tolerance was 7km/hr due to variations in speedo's of differing age and make etc. Some how the exceptable limit was "ruled" as 5 km/hr either way. The funny thing is the government is doing all these things yet none of them are actually legal. A good example I'll give is where I live there are 2 schools, one private catholic and the other a public. They are oposite each other on the same road. Under the law Drivers must "obey" the 40km/hr school zone speed, but this actually only applies on the public school side of the road as the private school is not reconised under this particular law. so bascially, legally speaking if you were to drive at the posted limit of 60km/hr during "school zone" times the police can not legally fine you for it. But guess what, they still do. you need to take the matter to court to win. yet another case of the Government getting away with illegal activities. just my rant, oh and don't take the above eg as me saying to speed in school zones, because don't... Its all about the money, how sad

I agree with the revenue raising. I'd rather that than more tax. Don't speed and you wont contribute to the revenue raising ;)
I really try not to speed Snowman, but anyone who is a driver, at times you can't but help it. I really feel that some of the speed zones are just too slow.
Going through Heathcote every morning and night......six lanes and everyone has to do 50. That is just pathetic.
Where I live they have put a fence all the way down on the main street, because one person got killed. Sorry, over reaction, maybe they need to fence off all of Australia!!!

You cannot tell me that going along Maddens Plains doing 120 would still be very safe??? It is almost straight and flat...

Well, these have just been rolled out in NSW.

I personally think it is just a revenue raiser and that to try and reduce the road toll is a load of crap.
Why I think that????

The Picton Road is a notorious black spot. From what I have been told...no mobile speed cameras there.

I don't totally agree...If noone sped and broke the law, they wouldn't raise revenue.
And me or my partner drive Picton Road nearly everyday and there's always highway patrol on it.

Last edited:
Sheesh, WA had mobile speed cameras back in the early 90's, what's the big deal?
Most cars actually come from the factory set around 5% under so when your speedo says you are doing 60, you are in fact only doing 57. Check with your GPS if you doubt me.
I don't like speed cameras but the fact is that they are necessary as people insist on speeding. I'm not talking about the person whose concentration on their speedo lapses and they end up doing 63 in a 60 zone, I'm talking about the people that get on the road every day and tailgait because they want to speed then pull out once it's two lanes and weave through traffic doing 10-40kmh over. I spent 3 years in NSW, I know it's as bad there as anywhere else. It really is simply, if people stopped speeding, speed cameras would no longer raise revenue and they'd stop using them.
Last time I got a speeding ticket was in 1994 when I was young and stupid.

I know what you're saying Fay.. I get one or two tickets a year... it does make me slow down for a while though... It's a good money maker no doubt about it. But if the money doesn't come from that they'll take it from somewhere else. I was just saying we have more control on our "donations" than if they double our rego or up taxes etc... I'd be all for doubling the fines and no fine for 0-10 over :)

I got my first speeding ticket in 1978, three weeks after getting my license
I got my last speeding ticket in 1978, three weeks after getting my license

IMHO if cameras are revenue raising then they should be considered a tax on stupidity

Not only are there mobile speed cameras up here that are marked as police cars, we now have old bombs sitting on the side of the road which have speed cameras in them and have no police markings at all. And i think we are getting average time speed cameras too, so a camera takes your photo doing the speed limit, you speed up until you get to the next camera and slow down but guess what, you made the trip too quickly so you must have been speeding GOTCHA

Everyday I get left for dead by 'P' platers and I am doing the speed limit. Mostly red 'P' platers..

Do these cameras pick up a 'P' plater???
Or only pick him up if he is exceeding the speed limit, which can be more than the 'P' limit???

ie red 'P' plater is 90....but he is doing 110, but the speed limit is 110???

you all should be thankfull your not down here in melbourne there everywhere and they only deduct 3 km off so if your doing 105km youll get fined for driveing 102 ..... awsome state to live in!!!!!

Everyday I get left for dead by 'P' platers and I am doing the speed limit. Mostly red 'P' platers..

Do these cameras pick up a 'P' plater???
Or only pick him up if he is exceeding the speed limit, which can be more than the 'P' limit???

ie red 'P' plater is 90....but he is doing 110, but the speed limit is 110???

They're invincible fay. Nothing can touch them, don't you know! :lol:

On the flip side of things, I just got my opens and not have that green/red "P" on the back of my car is such a relief; I don't get tailgated (as much), I don't get pulled over after finishing work/Uni on late Friday nights, and generally a lot more respect on the road. The worst drivers are the 24-30yr old drivers, so I don't understand why there's so much emphasis on how bad provisional drivers can drive.

Still, if you're not speeding, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. More often than not the morons get caught... I've had friends be suspended, put on probation, then caught again and lose their license for a year. I just laugh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back