monitor help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python_guy44

Reaction score
yello,
I am interested in getting some smalll monitors that are cheep, easy to breed, look good, are good pets,have a market etc.
I only have the class 1 licence so there is limited list to what i can have.
These have to be small monitors.
I am thinking maybe ackies or even pygmies.

cheers, jeremy

Ackies or Gilliens would be your best bet. They don't make as good pet as beardies but some can become fairly tame.
Most small moniters are easy to keep and look good but the **** fell out of the small moniter market last season, ackies and gillens and blackheadeds are bloody everywhere. Some of the rarer small moniters like v.baritji, v.kingorum and v.primordius(spelling) would still have a market but there isn't many around(i saw a few last season) and they are on class 2.
I only keep ackies these days just cause i like them.

i am going to get into breeding so how much would it cost for a trio or pair. and wat size enclosure does a trio of ackies need

I'm getting A Ridge Tailed Monitor on november the first, and I'm keeping it in my aviary... Do you have an aviary or pit?

A 4x2x2ft would be plenty. The next few months after everything stops breeding will be the best time to look for an adult trio and you should be able to pick them up for around $700 maybe even less.
Make sure you buy a group that has been living together as introducing adults can be very hard, they fight alot or just buy a few hatchlings and raise them together.

They grow fast and can breed at about 1yr old and will lay mutliple clutches in a season. They normally max out at about 50-60cm total length but i've seen a few around 75cms total length.

Yeah i was thinking those lengths but i thought may as well be safe and ask some experianced ppl 's in this area. And bellinda i am building one with my dad i just need the measurements.

PS: i dont think an aviry in sydney is a good idea as for a newbie (thats me too :D) as i am not sure if you are in an area that is suited to keep baritji's as i believe they come from the hotter regions
pps: i maye be wrong (probably :lol:)

i was talking to a friend and they said they will cost approx $250-$350 each i don't know about a trio though.

Thats what I am doing in Autumn and winter.

Well I have V.baritji I havent had em long but they are great and they avg 500-600 dollars :)

belinda i hope u know ackies are from the northern parts of aust. it will not be a good idea to keep one outside. Generally ackies dont need a large enclosure, as long as u hav a a lot of things to keep them happy...i always add different things to the enclosure (hollow logs, hollow roks, branches with leaves for him to climb through)and u are not wrong jeremy. i hav hav my ackie in an enclosure 3x2x2 heat spot about 45 degrees and the rest of the tank about 25. it isnt good to get a reptile adapted to hot weather and keep it in an outside enclosure in syd. oh yeah ackies will get through the tiniest holes, my ackie is about 43cm and can get the a hole that my pinkie finger cant.

V. Baritji are class 2 in NSW, V. acanthurus are the ridge tails you guys will get. Unless you have a class 2 of course.

Oi, Noone or anyone actualy why are v.baritji, kingsrock monitor and northern blunt spined monitors all one class 2. they are fairly easy to look after from my experience working at the park and what some other guys Have told who breed kinghorni and primordious. Also when I got my baritji I was told their care was almost identical to that of ackies.............So any idea why they are a class 2 animal?

Brodie it's because they are "rare"in captivity some more than others, ackies were class 2 until a few years ago. All a class 2 is in NSW is for rare or hard to keep animals and then you categrories for venemous stuff.

Ahh ok cool thanks, I was begining to think that there was some evil hidden catch about having baritji's. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back