Monitor missing nail?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I looked at buying a sand monitor on the weekend & noticed it was missing a nail/ claw, is this normal? It didn't seem to affect it climbing or anything.

Common for monitors to loose nails as they don't shed properly. It only affects athestics, so if you want it go for it.

Doesn't bother my ackie at all, he lost two front claws but it's just as hard to keep him off the curtains :p

Common for monitors to loose nails as they don't shed properly. It only affects athestics, so if you want it go for it.

monitors do shed properly if kept right.

My male ackie has ripped out two nails from moving around his cage. Each time i found him with blood and the nail hanging at a funny angle which eventually falls out. He is a very big boy and I suspect it might be from climbing on the plastic vent which has very small holes that his nails could get stuck in. So far they have all grown back.

Thank you, so will they regrow or will the monitor be without a claw?

i have not heard of them re growing i don't believe its like some lizards tails.... all mine have all toes so if the enclosure is right its not normal to lose toes...

If it's just the nail it may regrow depending on how it was lost. Atoe will never regrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back