monitor pits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahbell

Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with putting the larger monitor species togther in a very large pit?if so did they fight?what sorts were they?

What do you mean by larger monitors together? Are you referring to many of the same species, or more than one species in the one pit?

Although I have had no experience with this (have a monitor pit ready but not currently in use) I would recommend NOT mixing different species. There would be species that would occur together naturally, probably the Lace Monitor and Heath Monitor but I wouldn't want to risk injury, or possible cross-breeding. On that subject, do different monitors cross-breed if given the oppourtunity?

Simon Archibald

Andrew Melrose has a pit with about 6 lace monitors in it. They do fine together because he has hiding spots for each of them. They do fight and form a hierarchy but dont do much damage to each other.
Thats what I got from his AHS presentation a couple of months ago.

cheers

Jonny

Certain species would be ok together with enough room. At TWP we are about to put V.mertensi and V.panoptes together.. BIG enclosure though

oh and simon, I have heard of glauerti and pilbarensis producing offspring in the states (wankas) what a waste of two of our most beautiful species eh?

I've heard of V. Gouldii and Argus monitors crossed, the Argus aren't Australian native.

I'd reckon any varanids could interbreed if they were of a mind to.

Yes brodes, that is a friggin' waste. V. glauerti and V. pilbarensis are beautiful species - V. pilbarensis being my favourite of all monitors.

Simon Archibald

has anyone built a monitor/reptile pit?if so how did u build it?thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back