monitor question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

someday

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
hey there,

im thinking about buying a bells phase lace monitor "juvenile"
but am not sure how old a juvenile is as i have never used "hatchling,juvenile and yearling" to describe age im thinking its under 6months?
can i get your info please and thank you;)
thanks

By definition it means that it hasn't reach sexual maturity, the age that this happens depends on how they are kept. I'd contact the seller and ask the age.

Well I think for snakes its about newborn - hatchling, 6 months to 1 year - juvenile, 1 - 2 years yearling.

Might be the same for monitors but not to sure.

Like Rob said, would be best to ask the breeder the age of the monitor.

Also, great taste in monitor! They sure are pretty.

alot of monitors are adult size in less than a year,if not sub adult sized,id class juvies as in between hatchling/newborn size up to yearling size,yearlings are yearlings,i wouldnt call a 2 year old a yearling

to op,have u ever kept monitors before,especially medium to large sized ones?

if kept right,they arent like 2 metre long bluetongues,they pretty much constantly eat and in large amounts,and by the time there 3 to 4 foot long,feeding time may open your eyes a little,definatly not for the faint hearted

hence why you see so many in the 3 to 4 foot size 1 to 2 year olds for sale i imagine,they definatly demand some respect,i think alot of folk jump in to early in getting lacies ect,and are overwhelmed by the experience,much to the detriment of the monitors

most folk selling them will tell u how old they are,sizes can vary depending on how uch there fed,so impossable to say this age ones are this size ect ect,you will need to talk to breeders to find all that out

good luck,they are awsome animals,sorry if i sounded negative,just thought it relevant to mention

alot of monitors are adult size in less than a year,if not sub adult sized,id class juvies as in between hatchling/newborn size up to yearling size,yearlings are yearlings,i wouldnt call a 2 year old a yearling

to op,have u ever kept monitors before,especially medium to large sized ones?

if kept right,they arent like 2 metre long bluetongues,they pretty much constantly eat and in large amounts,and by the time there 3 to 4 foot long,feeding time may open your eyes a little,definatly not for the faint hearted

hence why you see so many in the 3 to 4 foot size 1 to 2 year olds for sale i imagine,they definatly demand some respect,i think alot of folk jump in to early in getting lacies ect,and are overwhelmed by the experience,much to the detriment of the monitors

most folk selling them will tell u how old they are,sizes can vary depending on how uch there fed,so impossable to say this age ones are this size ect ect,you will need to talk to breeders to find all that out

good luck,they are awsome animals,sorry if i sounded negative,just thought it relevant to mention

totally agree with you there mate

Could be classified as a juvi at 2yrs old and just be underfed. Question is, do you have the room for it as it grows? Lacies are by far the best thing I have ever kept. Like has been said, unfortunately, as they grow, some people are not prepared for the size, attitude, and feeding requirements. I'm also not trying to be negative, but any info you can aquire beforehand will be a huge bonus.

As everyone else said make sure u are prepared for the size of the lacey ... and the temperment .... I have a 8 month old bells ... but he would have to be the most docile lace Ive seen .... well compared to the ones you see on youtube .... he prefers to chill out most of the time... and when its time for feeding ... he will either take the chicken neck peices gently from my hand or I will just leave it in a container for him cut up and he eats as he feels during the day .....he isnt an issue to get in or out of the tank .... and is pretty much toilet trained.... I put him in the bath while im in the shower in the morning and he does his business .... then i dry him off and put him back in his enclosure ...... Wishing u all the best with your new Bells dude..... they are great animals

By your description of temperament and how it takes its food, Inkaddict, I'd guess your monitor isn't being kept hot enough.

Mm..agreed, lacies are deifinitely not a beginner animal. All fun and games, til someone loses a cat.

This is just going to get me thinking about the horrible licensing laws again...monitor bites...stunted cocodiles...ARGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back