Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleethompson

Reaction score
Im super interesting in adding a monitor to my collection. though, im not sure what the best is for size and characteristics. id prefer a small monitor because i dont have much space for another huge enclosure. though i know adult monitors will need quite a big enclosure in the future. any advice would be great!
i currently have a central bearded dragon and an eastern small blotched python.

small monitors are ackies, storrs or pygmy mulga. I think ackies are the cheapest and full adult sized pair would need at least a 6x2x2 enclosure whereas an adult storrs pair can be kept in a 4x2x2.

thankyou!
for one ackie would it be able to fit in a 4x2x2?
do you have them yourself?

Ridge-tailed monitors (V.acanthurus), aka ackies, or Pygmy Mulga monitors (V.gilleni) are great first monitors and both are readily available. The rule of thumb with monitors is the more room you can give them the better. For a single adult ackie a 4x2x2 enclosure would be the minimum I'd consider, but I'd plan for something larger. V.gilleni are smaller and will make use of vertical space, if floor space is the limiting factor.

one ackie would be fine in a 4x2x2 but the problem is, you would want to get another one not long after you got your first one. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back