Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys some of you may have read my other thread about me wanting to get another reptile for an enclosure that ill be getting. Im pretty sure i want to get a monitor, even though they will outgrow the tank (it will be used untill the lizard requires more space). I was thinking of a pygmy mulga monitor only because they are quite small and seem very nice.... So does anyone have a few tips about how to keep them, do they require the same type of enclosure as an Ackie?

Cheers

I would advise that you pick an ackie over a pygmy mulga, I have kept them both and can honestly say they are by far the most boring lizards you will come across. All they seemed to do was hide in their ackie stack and were very shy lizards.
Ackies on the other hand are a lot better in my opinion, they eat like pigs and really don't seem to mind you watching them

I disagree. My little guy was originally very shy. He's now very active and will eat out of my hand. Awesome little guys. Good choice!

Ok i was only being consiensous about the size pygmy mulga get alot smaller

If you want something that is going to act like a monitor and not a bearded dragon than go for the ackies.
If you want a lizard to eat out of your hand.....get a puppy:lol:

If you want something that is going to act like a monitor and not a bearded dragon than go for the ackies.
If you want a lizard to eat out of your hand.....get a puppy:lol:

:rolleyes: That was used to illustrate the point that they're not all as shy as you imply. Gillens are nothing like agamids.

hehhe my mum wants a dog, but restricted space. Ok so what size do they usually get up too? and how long before i have to make my upgrade, money is also a issue as i dont want to get another tank as soon as i buy the first one!

So are gillens much like the care of ackies, or different? Any care sheets available!

:rolleyes: That was used to illustrate the point that they're not all as shy as you imply. Gillens are nothing like agamids.

So your telling me that Gilleni aren't a shy species when you compare them to ackies?
Have you ever experienced them in a pair?
Do you provide them with an ackie stack?

I have kept and bred both species

bahahha yea jason or a perentie!

Perenties actually arn't so bad, they are more huff and puff, Lacies don't bother much with the threats..

As for your question, I'd go with Gillens for starters, they are easy to breed and arn't bad lizards to keep. Ackies can still give a good account for themselves if they are hanging off your finger..

Oh and pictures of enclosures would be much appreciated!

For ackies I use a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure with a 60 watt reflector globe, Put an ackie stack 15cm bellow the globe. Use red desert sand for substrate and bob is your mother's brother

So your telling me that Gilleni aren't a shy species when you compare them to ackies?
Have you ever experienced them in a pair?
Do you provide them with an ackie stack?

I have kept and bred both species

Good for you. I'm saying they're not all shy and they don't all hide all day as you're suggesting they do.

Is it possible that someone may have had a different experience to yourself? Or is that simply impossible? I sincerely apologise if mine does not act the way I describe. Clearly you must know better.

hehe guys its alright dont want an internet war!! thanks jason, so do gillens need an ackie stack and what about general husbandry?

Good for you. I'm saying they're not all shy and they don't all hide all day as you're suggesting they do.

Is it possible that someone may have had a different experience to yourself? Or is that simply impossible? I sincerely apologise if mine does not act the way I describe. Clearly you must know better.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings cupcake, my point was that you obviously treat it as a pet like you would a beardie, I gave my personal experience in keeping them over a few years as breeding pairs.
You gave a different account of keeping a single one as a pet

See the difference? He probably should hear from both sides rather than just a keeper who treats it like a bunny

hehe guys its alright dont want an internet war!! thanks jason, so do gillens need an ackie stack and what about general husbandry?

Ackies stacks are good for both species as they are used for heat and hiding, they can be kept the same as ackies....you may get away with a little smaller enclosure but 4x2x2 is a good size for a pair.

If you need to know how to make an ackies stack I can draw you a diagram

Sorry if I hurt your feelings cupcake, my point was that you obviously treat it as a pet like you would a beardie, I gave my personal experience in keeping them over a few years as breeding pairs.
You gave a different account of keeping a single one as a pet

See the difference? He probably should hear from both sides rather than just a keeper who treats it like a bunny

Mate, you really lead to lay off on the assumptions. Seriously. I'm not one of the breast-feeding crew. Pull your head out of that dark little hole in your nether region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back