Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lockyman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I would appreciate some help with the purchase of some monitors. I have an aviary with water dragons, beardies, shinglebacks, blue tongues and turtles all living happily together and I would like to get into some monitors. Is there any monitors that I can house with my other reptiles or is it best to keep them seperate?
thanks

Pretty much the answer is no. It is only the larger monitors that are suitable for outdoor enclosures and they will eat the others.

I have seen Mertens Monitors housed with Water Dragons successfully and plan on doing it myself but almost all species of monitor will eat or at least kill any other species housed with them.

yeah im pretty sure gully reptile have a big enclosure with some eastern water dragons and a mertens water monitor housed together.....

It is best to keep them seperate as a general rule, but some can get along if they are the right size and individual temperment. Combing species is not a good idea if you arnt experienced with the species you are mixing. That said even putting the same species together can be risky sometimes.

Attachments

• lizards.jpg
    lizards.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,298
the local reptile shop down the road has a huge indoor enclosure with a colony of water dragons and an adult mertens. Happily living together for years

Thanks for everyone's advice, it wasn't what I was hoping for though! What small monitors then can I keep internally in a 4 x 2 x 2 foot enclosure.
Thanks

Ackies or Gillens

I used to have 2 Ackies in separate tanks and they were awesome.

Mertens can be fine with water dragons, blue tongues and tortoises. Kept them together for years. Make sure they are compatible sizes though, of course, with plenty of cover and refuges in the pit.

whats everyones thoughts on housing ackies together...i want a pair but dont have room for 2 seperate enclosures......was gonna put them in a 5x2x2 enclosure

whats everyones thoughts on housing ackies together...i want a pair but dont have room for 2 seperate enclosures......was gonna put them in a 5x2x2 enclosure

From what ive heard that would be substantial

If you get them as juvi's together rellik then you should be fine.
I got 1 from somewhere and got another 1 elsewhere a few months later and had to keep them separate. no matter what i tried they would just fight.
you should get a trio as juvi's then if 2 of them dont get along you just sell the trouble maker and have 2 happily living together.
5x2x2 would be plenty for a pair of adults.

ahh cheers guys...what i was hoping to hear
also do they need alot of height??
would 550mm high be plenty of height for them??

Tristis are another option. Never had any trouble with them.
I introduced a female 18 months after I got the male with no probs.
I wouldn't introduce another male though.

At Aust Zoo they have mertens with beardies and blueys plus there is always EWD in there also.

ahh cheers guys...what i was hoping to hear
also do they need alot of height??
would 550mm high be plenty of height for them??

Yep that should be fine, just make sure there are plenty of crevices for them to squirm into, also some places for them to climb up onto...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back