Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryony

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok well i fell in love with hugstas ridge tailed monitor (Varanus Acanthurus) and now i'm wanting a monitor of my own.

On a class 1 licence i can obtain:-

Black tailed monitor - Varanus tristis
Sand monitor - Varanus gouldi
Pygmy mulga - Varanus gilleni
ridge tailed monitor - Varanus acanthurus

now i have found most of the info i need but was going to ask you lovley people
-how big do they usually grow (i found some of their max length but not all)
-what are they like to keep (personal experience)
- what are they like as hatchies (Stereotypically)
- and are they happier in pairs (like pack animals?)

thanx guys in advance
:lol:

ackies r awesome. They r suppose to grow around 55-70cm but mine is a mt isa dwarf variety which means he should only get to around 45cm, at the moment he is about 3.5 years old and is only around 38cm total length. Great feeders and handlers, my advice is to go for ackies.

bryony i fell in love with them too the ridge tailed monitors but i have to wait to until i build these enclosures. which is a while way everything for the pythons enclosures i'm building 8 of them is going to cost $1,417. thats just for water bowls,hides,duel probe thermometer and hygrometer,and thermostats.

When I was getting my first monitors I didn't know much about them and asked as many people as I could to tell me their experiences. Of the smaller monitors, ackies seem to be the most popular, but everyone who had experience with both gillen's and ackies said gillens were better, so I bought them (despite them being twice the price at the time) and am very happy I did. If you're thinking about sand monitors then in my opinion it's probably worth getting something a little larger and go for lacies, as in my opinion they're the best goanna to keep (no, I don't have any, I don't have the space :( ). Having said that, all the goannas are really awesome and you'll be really happy with whatever you get.
Some monitors will kill each other if kept together, I know of this happening to several people with ackies but I think gillens are generally really good with not killing each other or bashing each other up, mine have always been good together. I don't think any of them will be all that much happier in groups, although two of my females used to 'play' together as juveniles, chasing each other and jumping on top of each other, it looked like they were having fun! They stopped when they were adults though.

I have a trio of Baritji back home compliments of Baritji <lol>
They are the best monitors ever, but hey they are the first species I have kept! I love em :)
I hear Ackies are really good <from Ackie lol> and I also have a good friend with V. gouldi and they are little stunners too. They are all in together in a mega enclosure and lovin it.

Any species of monitor are awesome, I have kept 4 species to date and they KIK @$$.

You should definetly get them!

If you get hatchies, be careful of impaction!!

All monitors on that list, except gouldi grow pretty small (about 40cm for gillens and 70cm for ackies and tristis) All 3 of those species will do well in a 4x2x2 enclosures, gillens and trisits love to climb!! and ackies seem to enjoy rock walls etc....

IMO baritji are the best to keep (they are similar to ackies!!!) So i rekon ackies would be the best :D

thanx everyone :)
that was verry helpfull
i'll let you know what i get, they are so damn cute!!!
look what you have done now hugsta!!!

lol

Sdaji said:
Of the smaller monitors, ackies seem to be the most popular, but everyone who had experience with both gillen's and ackies said gillens were better, so I bought them (despite them being twice the price at the time) and am very happy I did

thanx for helping make the decision for me! :D

I have kept ackies and gillens and they are both cool. But ackies get my vote!! Oh and Bryony a high basking spot is essential!! all of mine are 45-50 degrees!

hey brodie do you still have a breeding trio of baritji? if so do you think they might breed soon

hygrometers.....are these nessacery in python cages?

ahhh i see now. Yeh i saw that advertised looks like a nice buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back