Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Reaction score
The other thread on the monitors has had hubby and I very interested. We already keep eastern bearded dragons successfully, and hearing that their care is very similar to dragons perked up our ears. :D

We have been interested in getting a monitor, and were wanting to ask a couple of questions, since there seems to be a couple of experts around :wink:

Firstly, would you start them off in an indoors enclosure as hatchies and then shift them outside? What size/age would you shift them to an outdoors enclosure?

Is their diet purely insects? Or are they into other meats?

And any tips for handling?

I would really appreciate any replies or help... we are definitely in the 'starting to research' stage. 8)

Menagerie,
So many questions :)

Generally most monitors are kept indoors and some species can be moved outside dependant on what monitor it is, how big it is, and where you live.

Diets of some monitors may consist mainly of insects, but lots of species also eat meat/mammal items.

Appropriate handling techniques ensure safety for the keeper and the kept. It's really best to see it first-hand to get the true gist of it.

If you're interested I currently have some Blackheaded Monitors (Varanus tristis tristis) of known origin hatching. These will be $250. They grow to around 70cm and can be kept confortably in a 6x2x2 enclosure (some people keep and breed them in smaller but not my personal preference). For hatchlings they need only a small enclosure.

Simon Archibald

It is greatly dependant upon the species of monitors, which isn't suprising since they range from tiny little things up to lacies and Perenties which can grow to 2m or more. They're also found from the southern most point on mainland Australia up to the northern most point.

I'd very strongly recommend a small species to start with. Simon's tristis would probably be a good choice, and/or if you're interested in some Gillen's monitors (Pygmy mulga monitors) I currently have my fifth clutch of the season hatching (yes, right now as I type :) ). I also have a couple left from the fourth clutch. Gillen's monitors grow to around 35cm and can very comfortably kept in a 3ft enclosure, I know a couple of people who keep and breed them in colonies of 5-6 animals in enclosures 50cm long (although I'd recommend something larger). Hatchlings from the 5th clutch will be $180 (less for more).

I'm sure you'll soon be delighted with the decision to get into monitors, they are so full of personality. I wouldn't exactly say that their requirements are similar to beardies though. If anything, they're easier to look after than dragons, the only really important thing for most species is to have a blasting hot basking light, (which is very easily provided). I've had my goannas bask at temperatures just over 80 degrees celcius, and the same thing has been reported by many keepers. 50-60 is probably sufficient, but 30-40 isn't.

I strongly recommend you get yourself a copy of Australian Goannas by Matt Vincent and Steve Wilson. It's still readily available, cheap and has lots of useful information which will be invaluable in getting you started.

Happy herping :)

Speaking of the book "Australian Goannas" I just went to Mike Swan's site to link to the book information but he doesn't have it on his list anymore. Maybe it's becoming harder to get?

Simon Archibald

My Ackies have started mating again, I have only had them a couple of months and have already had eggs and now he is at it again. Is it still possible to buy Bromide ? :)

Hey managerie,

Start your monitors of inside as they are at less risk of neing taken by birds etc if in an open topstyle pit. Wait till they are large enough then put them out.

Putting them out depends on what you are after, your location limits you to what you can have. I would only put large monitors outside and keep smaller ones indoors.

Normally your smaller monitors feed on insects and some other things like, boiled eggs, turkey/ chinken mince small pinkies or chopped up mice etc. Your bigger monitors are mainly meat eaters, such as lacies and sandies etc.

All monitors are great, some taiming down more than others and most seem to breed readily o captivity. As sdaji said, he has just got his 5th clutch of hatchies out.

My personal preference, although I like all monitors and just don't have the room for them all, is ridge tailed monitors. They tame up very well and still breed quite readily in captivity. I also have some, jump on the badwagon, but they are not ready for sale yet. I keep them till they are at least 6 weeks old.

You could very comfortably fit a trio in a cage that size, just give them plenty of places to hide and get away from each other if they want to although they are fairly social in a sometimes aggressive way. :) Try to start with 3 babies and bring them up as a group as it can sometimes be hard to introduce another to the group later.

I agree with boa, if you can get a trio although sexing them as hatchies is impossible IME. 1M &2F would be ideal although 2M & 1F would be ok as well as males tend not to fight. You just have to be lucky.

Yes you do have to be lucky. I bought a group of 4 3F and 1M and they have apparently been together forever. The male appears to be lets just say very fertile :)

I have 2m:1f and I try to breed alternately with the males. I am keeping back a couple of this yrs hatchies to grow out a few a couple more. Hope to get some more girlies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back