Monster

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
At least that's what Meaghan has named him. We were supposed to go down to the coast to pick up some snakes, but it was a white-out on the highway. We took a trip over to Kelowna instead and picked this little guy up. He's a Savannah or Bosc's Monitor and cute as the dickens. :twisted:

100_3865_edited.sized.jpg

100_3859_edited.sized.jpg

:lol: Hes a cute little sucker alright, like a cross between an armadillo and a cane toad. :p

They are common in captivity though it seems captive bred ones are still fairly rare in Canada. They occur in Central Africa thourgh to the West Coast. This little one is just under a foot.

:( I feel so bad now for comparing the little guy to a cane toad.Hes really a very cool monster,pity we cant get them here. :(

Don't worry I like Cain Toads. They're not causing any trouble here, so... He does look an awful lot like a dinosaur. Thanks for the kind words all. I can't wait to watch this guy grow up.

No Cain Toads in Canada I'm affraid, but I think there's some in the U.S. . Can't say for sure I don't have my trusty book infront of me. Renovations... :x

Boscs monitors get incredibly tame which is good as they do get to a reasonable size and are quite heavy set. I had one years ago, it would eat anything. You are a lucky guy.

oldfella said:
:lol: Hes a cute little sucker alright, like a cross between an armadillo and a cane toad. :p

Actually, I was thinking that head looks very much like the head of a Velociraptor - well, the movie version of one, at least!

Kevyn said:
No Cain Toads in Canada I'm affraid, but I think there's some in the U.S. . Can't say for sure I don't have my trusty book infront of me. Renovations...

They've been sold there as pets for years, under the name Giant Toad and Marine Toad (current price at reptile City: $14.99 for 2-4 inches, $24.99 for 5 inches +). Accidentally introduced to Florida, and expanding. According to one book of mine, they naturally occur in the extreme southern part of Texas, south of the Rio Grande, and into Mexico, thence down to the Amazon basin.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: Monster

How big do these guys get and what does there diet consist of? I agree they do look alot like dinosaurs.

RE: Re: Monster

very nice eyes, has an innocent look about him. :D

How big do these guys get and what does there diet consist of? I agree they do look alot like dinosaurs.

They don't get all that long, usually around 4ft. or so. They do get quite heavy though, with impressive girth. They are relatively near the base of the Varanus evolutionary tree. Here's a link that shows where Varanus exanthematicus fits in... http://www.varanus.nl/engbegin.htm

Diet consists mainly of whole foods, rodents and some insects like crickets or roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back