Moody Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellini

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have had my bearded dragon for about a month now, he/she is approx 9 weeks old. Since I have had him he has never really liked to be picked up or touched but lately he hates it. He is soo moody. I understand that he has to get used to me etc. but I was just wanting to know if anyone else has a moody dragon? Is it just his personality? Also he is very secretive (lol) if he thinks we are not in the room or he cant see us for a while he will start jumping around and running around in his viv, but if he can see us he will just bask all day, again is this just him? or is it a dragon thing?
btw he is a central beardie.

Hi yeah I had a moody 1 he was around a year old when I got him and he was a devil couldn't even put your hand near him and he would open his mouth and want to bite but he calmed down after 2 or 3 weeks.

If only he was still moody when my house was broken into then maybe they wouldn't have stole him cos he may have bitten them.

"If only he was still moody when my house was broken into then maybe they wouldn't have stole him cos he may have bitten them."

I cant believe that someone stole your dragon!?

I have a central beardie who is almost 2 yrs old... He was very moody for about 6 months and I thought I was going to be stuck with a beautiful looking lizard which I couldn't pick up.... It turns out that the beardies, like most living things go through what is know to be "the teenage years" where they are very moody and try your patience as much as possible. The idea is to perservere through this stage and put your hand in their enclosure (even if only the run your finger down its back) as much as possible for them to get used to you and for them to realise that no matter how much they hiss and open their mouth to bite you are not going to back down.... if you get scared and stop interacting with him he will thinks he's won you over and will be left alone....
My beardie also runs up and down his enclosure and scratches on the glass.... I am not sure what that is about but he stops as soon as he gets attention so i say that would be an attention thing.... especially if he stops when he can see you....

Hi all,
I have had my bearded dragon for about a month now, he/she is approx 9 weeks old. Since I have had him he has never really liked to be picked up or touched but lately he hates it. He is soo moody. I understand that he has to get used to me etc. but I was just wanting to know if anyone else has a moody dragon? Is it just his personality? Also he is very secretive (lol) if he thinks we are not in the room or he cant see us for a while he will start jumping around and running around in his viv, but if he can see us he will just bask all day, again is this just him? or is it a dragon thing?
btw he is a central beardie.

his personality, it will take longer then a month to settle. when i got my little guy who ive had for quite some time now, he was like that and when i handled him on a regular basis he got better, not to the extent though where he would pick up without trying to run away but he'd stop leaping out of my hands! :lol: but even now he still sometimes flares up or trys to escape haha :) i like his character though its entertaining!

My little GIRL ( recently managed to sex her ) was the same , and she is around the same age :) 9 weeks and 4 days to be exact . and i got her at 4 weeks or something and it was only a few nights ago , i noticed her hoping around and she began staring at me and then she ever since has been very calm and will run around. but dont expect them to do much but bask all day , cause in the wild thats pritty much what they will do, but whenever you mist him/her you will notice they will become more active, it can sometimes be because they are sheltering from the rain ( misting ) and mine actually at one stage lashed out and struck the front of my spray bottle :S i wouldnt say you will get bit but do take some extra care, and handle for at least 15-20 minutes per day

hi. our girls are so good that the kids sit patting them. or pushing them in the pram.They love being with us. even reading the paper in the sun on my lap. well our's dont move much at all . I can put them in a hart type shape and they stay. :p

I used to have an eastern beardie that hated being picked up - he would gape and carry on. Perseverance is the key. He settled down and he even used to come close to me when I put my hand in... (I think he just wanted some crickets though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back