Morelia Boeneli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicco

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Boelen's%20python.jpg

wpeC4.jpg

Boelens pythons look awesome, but apparently very difficult to maintain in captivity due to the fact that they're found at very high altitudes.

I know Dicco, I ment profesionall displays like Taroonga, fetherdale , Reptile park or simmeler mate. But I asume that no is the answer.

When I was up in PNG 20 years ago I dearly hoped to see a Boelen's. The leader of the expedition described them as "having a head the size of your fist and a temper to match".

There's quite a few in the States, where I think they're also called Black Pythons.

:p

Hix

The Australian Reptile Park has one. Apparently they're quite easy to maintain. Their specimen was brought out for a handling session at the latest Australian Herp Society christmas party. It was very placid considering it had barely been handled. My guess is that it was about 8ft....absolutely awesome animal. :)

Easy to maintain, but only one clutch has ever been hatched in captivity, I think they had 2 or 3 babies.
There is a few of the in the US, maybe some in Europe too, but less than 100 overall I'd say.

When we were at the Bali Reptile Park a few years ago I met the bloke that owns it and he took me up to his breeding complex right up in the mountains. He showed me his Boelens which seemed very placid and very big. He did tell me at the time they were easy to keep but hard to breed but they have been bred in captivity. He had some beautiful Varanus prasinus and loads of Green tree pythons, I actually found a half eaten GTP outside one of his pits which pissed him and me off somewhat.

They mate and then the females lays some eggs, after a period of time the eggs hatch. :)

I have been checking out some American web sites for some time now. Many people seem to keep Black Pythons, I am envyious once again. I love the scale pattern on the head, the colour really shines of their skin.

I guess my Diamonds are going to have to do me. I love them as much anyway.

Boa,
The fella you refer to is Duncan McCrae, he is one of the biggest reptile exporters in Indonesia.

I know a few people that have bought captive hatched boelen's from him and they seem to do fairly well.
There are two different forms, one has yellow and black and the more common white and black.
Awesome snakes, get pretty big to.
Magpies right there wouldn't be that many in captive collections, most of the WC adults or sub-adults that were shipped in 10 years ago kept dying, and so Duncan McCrae decided to try and set up a captive breeding :wink: (IE.Captive hatching facility ) in Bali, and the captive hatched animals seem to acclimatise alot easier, as would be expected.

Neil

boa said:
They mate and then the females lays some eggs, after a period of time the eggs hatch. :)

LOL Good one boa
I ment if there is enough of them and no problem with reproducing. So many species do desapeer slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back