Morelia or Chondropython

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Ant_Gear

Reaction score
HI All

I am new to this site and not a snake owner but have plenty of them living on my property in fact I am sure one is at my chook pen now trying every little hole in the snake wire hoping to find the one that will let it in:))

Anyway my question is in regards to the Green Python or what we thought was a Chondropython Viridis.

What is the proper species name for this snake, is it Chondropython Viridis or Morelia Viridis?

I have been working on putting together a website for my friends Tshirt business, one of her designs is of a Green Python but we received an email telling us that it wasn't called Chondropython it was Morelia? We then looked up Harold Coggers book and it said that it was a Chondropython?

Anyone can point us in the right direction of the correct name?

Cheers:))

hi liz. They used to be classified as chondropython viridis. But have been reclassified to morelia viridis. I cant remember exactly how long ago this was. Maybe someone else can she more light on this for you.

Hi Thanks for your response snakeman:))

Would love to know a few more details if anyone knows or can refer me to somewhere useful to do some research:)

Hi Liz,

Where are you? Iron Range?

Sure you aren't just seeing Green Tree Snakes? Plenty of them in Cairns :)

Found your website, nice Tshirts. Next time I go to the markets I'll track you down!

Wait I just reread your post Haha, Gee I;m a knob!

What snakes do you see?

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Brodie.

Have been to Iron Range, don't know about living there though, unless I was a snake of course;))

Snakes I see well
Ameyst. python - heaps of them mainly because of chooks
Night Tigers, in my house all the time:)
Green Tree Snakes
Huge red bellied black dead on the road out the front of my place the other day.
Rough scaled snake
Small eyed snake
Two types of whips can't remember names now as while ago
Two unidentified big buggers a while ago that looked poisonous and scary LOL

So I guess I do keep snakes really LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back