MORTEIN NaturGard self spraying insect control

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- I was just wondering if the above was safe to use this in the lounge room where my snakes are housed?

It specifies that the ingredients are plant based, but i cant find a list of ingredients for it... And as the fly problem is starting I wanted to know what peoples thought/experiences were...

http://www.mortein.com.au/product_nat_auto_ind_ins.php

A
dmin, please delete the link if its one I am not allowed.

Thanks all!

ok, the interesting thing was there is a guy on here that had had some luck with something similar killing mites, but not affecting his snakes. Pretty sure it was Longqi. hope this thread stays long enough to get his opinion...

i wouldnt use that stuff near my animals, then again, even deoderant is banned from most of the house,.....

fly screens are good though! :)

Self Spraying Insecticide.....enough said. Who wants to have an insecticide being sprayed into their living area every so often?
Even if it is "plant based," it's still made to kill something, so can't be healthy to have it sprayed into the air every so often.

If you don't want bugs anging around, get a pest controller in and get a barrier surface spray done, and keep your house clean.

I haven't used an insecticide spray in years, pest guy comes once a year and thats all we need.

where we are we seem to have a really bad fly problem every year. and yes fly screens are great but a 3yr old that thinks she was born in a tent doesnt help! lol

I would rather put up with flies than do anything to hurt the snakes.

the_s_word: a barrier spray? what is that and would it help with flies?

Does anyone know if their is any plants I could keep inside that would detract flies etc?

We dont use anything like that in our house (same with the ones that spray perfumes etc) as it sets me off sneezing and watery eyes etc plus I get a red rash thats not cool!!!! I can walk into a place and know if they use it or not straight away! I can use tea tree oil, vinegar, bi carb, eucalyptus oil with no problems. We do have fly screens but they have big holes in them, but i wipe the benches etc down all the time with one or two of the above and we dont have a problem with flys etc. We get the odd 1 every now and then but thats all! :D

Lemon grass is g8! I have it near the doors and brush past it all the time! it helps! I do have a list of plants somewhere ill pm u later if you like when i can find it!!!

carnivouvous plants are very attractive, look into the pitchers esp, i found a aussie site a while ago that ships them,...

You can pick up Fly traps pretty cheap from most supermarkets.
Haven't had to use them personally but will be looking into it this summer.

The barrier spray (also known as surface spray) will only work against crawling insects.

carnivouvous plants are very attractive, look into the pitchers esp, i found a aussie site a while ago that ships them,...

So, are you suggesting to put pitcher plants all over the place to control the flies? :D

Pyrethrin is one of the better, less harmful bio-chemicals in many insect sprays but it's lethal to fishes and most aquatic animals. I know what it would do to a reptiles if it was in its drinking water. Best to avoid it.

We dont use anything like that in our house (same with the ones that spray perfumes etc) as it sets me off sneezing and watery eyes etc plus I get a red rash thats not cool!!!! I can walk into a place and know if they use it or not straight away! I can use tea tree oil, vinegar, bi carb, eucalyptus oil with no problems. We do have fly screens but they have big holes in them, but i wipe the benches etc down all the time with one or two of the above and we dont have a problem with flys etc. We get the odd 1 every now and then but thats all! :D

Lemon grass is g8! I have it near the doors and brush past it all the time! it helps! I do have a list of plants somewhere ill pm u later if you like when i can find it!!!

aaah Thanks Starr! that would be great. has to be something that doesnt bother cats at the same time! We have a menagerie!!!! Our screens are the same as yours. I have organised for new ones to get fitted next week... but even though there is no open windows I have flies!!!!

Please pm me if you can Chris1!!!
You can pick up Fly traps pretty cheap from most supermarkets.
Haven't had to use them personally but will be looking into it this summer.

The barrier spray (also known as surface spray) will only work against crawling insects.

The stick on ones? i havent tried them and hadnt even thought of them! Thanks heaps!

Nepenthes are awesome, a real favorite of mine. I keep quite a few of them, BUT I find it's usually too dry inside the house for them to be truly happy. The ones I have that grow best are actually hanging in little pots underneath huge overflowing baskets of trailing plants, they create the moist microclimate that keeps the nepenthes looking their best. It doesn't take much to mess them up either, I went away for a couple of weeks and the trailing plants didn't get watered as much and now the pitchers on all my nepenthes have dried off, the plants will recover but they certainly don't look as nice. I also have a large dish of them near my front door, they've done much better with the few weeks neglect and have taught me a couple of things that I'm going to change for my bigger ones to get them more resilient.

Yikes that turned into an essay :lol:

So, are you suggesting to put pitcher plants all over the place to control the flies? :D

Pyrethrin is one of the better, less harmful bio-chemicals in many insect sprays but it's lethal to fishes and most aquatic animals. I know what it would do to a reptiles if it was in its drinking water. Best to avoid it.

Waterrat- i used this thing last year (before I had snakes) and it was right above the fish tank (until now hadnt even thought of the poor fishy's) and I never lost a single one? And it was near the bird cage. Not in anyway trying to start an arguement with you- as I said in my OP i cant find a list of ingredients, perhaps it doesnt have the Pyrethrin in it?

Get a puppy, they chase flies.

Got 2 dogs and a cat and they are all lazy buggers lol.... maybe need frogs next lol

Last edited:
Grow basil, tansy and/or mint near doors and windows. And get some sticky strips, they worked well in my reptile room when I had the freaking wax worm moths escape....

Nepenthes are awesome, a real favorite of mine. I keep quite a few of them, BUT I find it's usually too dry inside the house for them to be truly happy. The ones I have that grow best are actually hanging in little pots underneath huge overflowing baskets of trailing plants, they create the moist microclimate that keeps the nepenthes looking their best. It doesn't take much to mess them up either, I went away for a couple of weeks and the trailing plants didn't get watered as much and now the pitchers on all my nepenthes have dried off, the plants will recover but they certainly don't look as nice. I also have a large dish of them near my front door, they've done much better with the few weeks neglect and have taught me a couple of things that I'm going to change for my bigger ones to get them more resilient.

Yikes that turned into an essay :lol:

Hahaha! I cant even keep a mothers in law tongue alive and apparently they are hardy as!

Grow basil, tansy and/or mint near doors and windows. And get some sticky strips, they worked well in my reptile room when I had the freaking wax worm moths escape....
Jen all those herbs are relatively easy to grow hey? could be a good responsibilty trainer for bubba?

It will use a synthetic Pyrethroid
Probably Pyrethrum imatation called Prallethrum

You were lucky with your fish as all of these are toxic to fish but not to mammals or birds unless injested
I put a pretty good write up on a similar potion in a thread called 'alternative mite treatment'

One very important thing is to remove their water bowls while using the spray

So far it worked extremely well with zero side effects that have appeared yet
But reptiles are very slow to show adverse effects in many cases
I ran it for about 2 months 12 hours each day and both snakes seem to be perfectly ok

The thread gives a lot more detailed information with chemical specs etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back