MORTEIN NaturGard self spraying insect control

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this may help!
Bay leaf, lavender, lemongrass and rosemary are around each of our doors in pots. Just brushing past them is all I need to do and the dogs and cat dont mind them.
'There are masking plants, repelling plants and plants that can be used to make sprays to kill. Many herbs fall into all three of those categories.'
Masking herbs include Sage (Salvia officinalis) and Thyme(Thymus spp.). Calamint (Calamintha officinalis) has a strong, fresh, minty smell. 'It will confuse pests that are heading for your prize tomatoes,' says Penny. To help repel cabbage moth from cabbages and cauliflowers, grow Oregano, sometimes known as Sweet Marjoram (Origanum vulgaressp. vulgare). Its masking effect will also confuse pests near a favourite plant such as a gardenia or a rose.
Dried Santolina or Cotton Lavender plant (Santolina chamaecyparissus) has strong insect-repellent qualities. Mix with English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) flowers in sachets and store these amongst linen, clothes and sheets to keep moths away. Aniseed-flavoured and scented Fennel(Foeniculum vulgare) makes a good wash to keep pets free of fleas. Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis), the common bay leaf used in cooking, can be put into jars of noodles and flour to keep weevils out and between the pages of books to keep silverfish from eating them. Fresh leaves are better than dried.
Basil (Ocimum spp.) grown in pots in a barbecue area or near an open door or window will keep flies and mosquitoes away.Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) is one of the stronger herbs. Grow it near a doorway to repel flies, or spread the leaves around to repel ants. Wormwood, such as Tree or Silver Wormwood (Artemisia arborescens) is particularly good for repelling cats. Simply lay a branch of it over newly dug gardens. Sprinkle the leaves around newly planted seedlings to repel snails. Southernwood (Artemisia abrotanum) grown in a chook pen will keep them clear of lice. The familiar sprayPyrethrum (Tanacetum cinerariifolium) grows as an attractive, tough garden plant, with a white daisy flower which is used dried.
For fungal rather than insect problems, make your own herb sprays. Pour boiling water over a cupful of dried Chamomileflowers (Chamaemelum nobile), let them seep for 10-20 minutes, cool and use the liquid as a spray on young seedlings.Sheoak (Allocasuarina sp.) while not a herb, can be similarly effective. Put 400gm of cut Sheoak` needles into boiling water in a saucepan, let it stew for 20 minutes, cool and use as you would the chamomile spray.
Garden hygiene is an important part of any pest-control regime. Keep your plants healthy and well-ventilated. Dispose of any infected plant material. Rotate crops to prevent a build-up of soil-borne pests. Attract predators like birds, frogs, lizards and good insects by planting suitable plants.
REFERENCE: Woodward, Penny, Pest-Repellent Plants(Hyland House, Victoria 1997)
"Pennyroyal oil brushed into the wood around benches does seem to keep them (flies) away-except when there is something more odourous and attractive, like meat, on the bench." French, J; Organic Control of Household Pets; 1988; p20.

Homemade Fly Paper
INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup corn syrup ,1/2 cup sugar
1. Cut 4 or 5 long strips about 2 inches wide from brown paper bags. Mix the ingredients in a bowl and spread it on the strips with a knife. Hang the strips over a bowl to catch drips.

Sorry its long but thought it may help others 2!!!!
:D

Soooooooooo copied and pasted. Yoink!

I haven't got my reptiles yet but use once or twice a year those insect bombs and when i get my pythons am wanting to know if there is a natural insecticide i could use instead that won't harm reptiles? From time to time from wet weather i get ground fleas and the bombs keep them under control. Has anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back