Moving to Sydney, advice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on where you will be working. Newtown and inner suburbs are not great for dogs. The north shore is pretty good for dogs, as is the shire. Both have good train service to the city and still have trees and parks. We lived in the inner suburbs with our dog in a flat once, but it sucked. Much better when we moved out to the north shore where there were plenty of trees for him to pee on:)

If you want to be within an hour of the CBD and not live in an apartment you're looking at serious $$$. I'm moving up to the central coast at the end of this year because i'm just over how expensive it is.

We are doing the same at Christmas. We pay $370 a week rent for a crappy old fibro plave and at the central coast could get a brand new brick house for the same amount.... Rent in Sydney is ridiculous.

i moved form sydney back to melbourne worse thing i ever did, i know what to move north where it is nice and warm, so in a couple of years im going to tell the missus f it lets get the hell out of here its like living in new zealand during the winters here in melbourne.

I love Melbourne because it is so cold, can't stand Sydney any more. I loved it when I was young and lived in the inner city but Melbourne people are so much nicer on a whole and the city is so much more vibrant. Can't stand the heat so I would never move North again.

I just returned from Sydney few hours ago. My advice - don't move there.

Yeah, you certainly caught the worst of our weather...

You need to give some more info, like where you will be working..what part you want to live in etc.
Central Coast will definately be cheaper, but if you have to work on the other side of sydney its no good lol

I lived in Sydney Shoo and HATED it. Rent is ridiculous unless you live like 1-2 hours away from the city. I lived in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Rockdale about 15 minutes train from the city (longer drive) - it was $360 a week 5 years ago. I don't know if it has changed, but public transport was SO expensive because you had to type in your destination to buy a ticket and you were only allowed to go to that exact place, without detours, or else you have to get another ticket.

Don't gooooo!!!!!! I need you :(

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really appreciate all your opinions :)

I'm really looking for ideas for the moment, as i have no idea what the different areas of Sydney are like so i'm looking for suggestions on where to start my research. It's not a matter of moving down there for a job and therefore basing my interests in areas nearby. Rather, finding one when i'm down there given that i'm a vet nurse, i don't need to work in the city.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice so far! Oh and i'm moving down because my partner wants to move, he just prefers Sydney and Melbourne to Brisbane by a long shot. He also wants to live closer in but i'm being the realistic one. Besides that i'm happy to live further out :) i like my space, peace and quiet!

If you like space, peace and quiet, don't move to Sydney. I'm moving away precisely to get those things, and i don't even live in the cbd.

Don't get me wrong, i do love QLD. Brisbane has become slightly stale for me of late though. I'm not looking forward to Summer either. Neither is my pooch, SO hard to get enough exercise and i must admit i like the thought of daylight savings. (I do get up earlier as it is, but trading hours to match would be nice...) Ugh, decisions!

Rent is the big killer in Sydney. I live 30-40 minutes drive to Melbourne and pay $220 a week for a 2 bedroom brick house with a huge yard. If I wanted to move the equivalent distance from Sydney I a) probably wouldn't get an actual house and b) be paying at least double the rent. I honestly couldn't believe the rental prices in Melbourne when I started looking, it is so reasonable here considering it is the second largest city.

If you like space, peace and quiet, don't move to Sydney. I'm moving away precisely to get those things, and i don't even live in the cbd.

have you ever lived at Kenthurst, Dural or Glenorie areas on acreage? some awesome places there on 5 acre bush blocks some even backing on to reserves.. very cool relaxed areas with plenty of wildlife too.. I lived out there for years and theres lots of reptiles birds, mamals etc.. we had sacred kingfishers nesting 50 metres from our back door.. heaps of bower birds and a bower 100 meters from the back door.. and we had an in ground salt water pool.. I used to handfeed a huge lace monitor through our pool fence that came up from the back when he'd smell a BBQ happening :D what more do you want??

Harry Cooper used to have his practice at annangrove years ago too and was my local vet (before he started on tv)

Last edited:
have you ever lived at Kenthurst, Dural or Glenorie areas on acreage? some awesome places there on 5 acre bush blocks some even backing on to reserves.. very cool relaxed areas with plenty of wildlife too.. I lived out there for years and theres lots of reptiles birds, mamals etc.. we had sacred kingfishers nesting 50 metres from our back door.. heaps of bower birds and a bower 100 meters from the back door.. and we had an in ground salt water pool.. I used to handfeed a huge lace monitor through our pool fence that came up from the back when he'd smell a BBQ happening :D what more do you want??
I used to live in Dural, rents are pretty phenomenal out there now though.

Harry Cooper used to have his practice at annangrove years ago too and was my local vet (before he started on tv)

Sounds awesome... also sounds out of reach for me at the moment, the joys of being a uni student, bleh

I used to live in Dural, rents are pretty phenomenal out there now though.

I stayed at a friends place at Dural on the weekend, was beautiful- inground pool, 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, was soooo beautiful- found out they pay $2000 rent a week!!! But definately a gorgeous place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back