'MULTI-HEAT' Low wattage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdhamhRuadh

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience using the 35 watt Multi Heat flexible (like they have on HerpShop) for click-clacks? I'm thinking about getting some and just need to know how hot it gets compared to the 70 watt, as I am planning on using it without a thermostat.

Adam

Without wanting to sound obvious the 70 watt should give out roughly twice the heat of the 35 watt. I would suggest you ALWAYS use a themostat with any form of heating, it just isn't worth the risk. How do you intend controlling the heat without a thermostat ?

I'd strongly recommend you run it with a thermostat, as boa said. Heat mats can cause fires without one. And before you say "Yes, but what are the chances of that?!" the chances are pretty reasonable. My sister's overheated without a thermostat, scorched the wood upon which it was resting and cracked the enclosure the python was in. Luckily she came home before it got bad enough to catch fire.

Do not take the risk!

The only thing I ever use without a thermostat is a small wattage (usually 40w) globe, and thats only in a clamp lamp on an open tub - so its no different to having a table lamp on all day. Anything more - THERMOSTAT it!

Yes but it is a heat source in contact with wood and/or plastic whilst a light bulb is not.

Well I dont know if anyone noticed, but I never actually asked a question about thermostats, in fact i have used low-wattage mats without them in the past and never had any problems. I was simply asking about that particular heat mat as I have never used the brand before. But if were on the topic of thermostats, how does everyone set them up for multiple click-clacks on the same mat? Do you put the probe in 1 enclosure and monitor it that way?

You are right you didn't ask a question about thermostats but you did specifically say you wouldn't be using one and myself and others recommended you rethink that plan. Any possible accidents caused obviously wont directly affect any of us but I wouldn't like to read about a fire on here one day.
As far as setting up a thermostat it couldn't be easier, I attach the probe to the end of the heat mat/tape and take a reading inside the boxes used and adjust the dial until the desired temperature is found. How do you regulate the temps in the boxes without a thermostat ?

Well I dont know if anyone noticed, but I never actually asked a question about thermostats, in fact i have used low-wattage mats without them in the past and never had any problems. I was simply asking about that particular heat mat as I have never used the brand before. But if were on the topic of thermostats, how does everyone set them up for multiple click-clacks on the same mat? Do you put the probe in 1 enclosure and monitor it that way?

Well said, boa.

Ignore that advice at your peril. Sadly, it would also endanger the life of a young reptile, otherwise I'd simply advise you to go ahead and just not complain if and when your house burns down.

I dont have a thermostat on my Athertons' click-clack, and Sadly, I doubt a 14watt heat mat (that i am currently using and never gets to anything above 32) is going to cause a fire. You're free to have your own opinion but to say things like it will endanger the life of my reptile is ridiculous. Thermostats fail aswell. There are also plenty of people that dont use them even with their adult enclosures. I for one do, however I dont see the point in using one for a heat mat with such a low wattage (as my current one). Anyway, my question was about the Multi-Heat 35 watt and how hot it gets, in fact, on the site it says it should be used with a thermostat or rheostat FOR ACCURACY. Not so your house doesnt burn down. But who cares, I'll probably just get the 70 watt stuff and use it with a thermostat.

It was actually one of the smaller, low-wattage ones which almost caused a fire at my sister's place.

There's no need to be a smart **** either, we're offering advice in an attempt to protect your animal, yourself and your assets.

I'll apologise for my previous post, it was a bit off; I'm just a bit of a nazi on this issue.

And another point.............. A few years ago I did not use them either, nor believe they were necessary. There's a very good reason that I'm a nazi on this matter now.

No need to be a smarty pants krim, they were only trying to help and advise you. If you dont like the information given here i suggest you dont be rude and expect these nice people to do your work for you. If you are going to get defensive, google it.

Seeing as you weren't involved in this conversation and have nothing to contribute, i suggest you don't go shooting your mouth off. I wasnt being a 'smarty pants' and I also wasnt trying to get them to do my 'work' for me. I was asking a question, and as far as i know, thats what this forum is for.

Regardless of how many watts a mat uses without a thermostat temps will always rise x degrees above ambient temps.So if a room gets to 30C and a mat is running without a stat then even a small mat would get to 40C or more.

i will garantee you the 70w per metre matt is to hot to run without a thermostat
as i found out.
should have got the 35watt stuff but cant be sure how it would go without a thermostat.
The matt itself is ok i have had no issues with it while i was using it

KrimenuL, maybe you should just make up your own mind next time without asking. That way you won't receive advice you don't want. :)

i will garantee you the 70w per metre matt is to hot to run without a thermostat
as i found out.
should have got the 35watt stuff but cant be sure how it would go without a thermostat.
The matt itself is ok i have had no issues with it while i was using it

Yeah I know, i wasnt talking about using the 70 watt one without a thermo.

"Well I dont know if anyone noticed, but I never actually asked a question about thermostats"

I may not have been involved, that doesn't mean i can't read. They were simply suggesting.

"Well I dont know if anyone noticed, but I never actually asked a question about thermostats"

I may not have been involved, that doesn't mean i can't read. They were simply suggesting.

How is that being a smarty pants? :rolleyes:
And I'm aware that they were suggesting, but they were also insinuating that my house may burn down if I didnt use a thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back