Mum backs dog, chides son for pulling ears before mauling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think a more dominant member of the pack won't attack a less dominant member if the alpha is sitting on her butt saying "See son, hick, I told you he'd bite you if you pulled his ears, hick."
And for your information if a dog goes up in the pack it will bite and nip at the less dominant members so the less dominant members don't ever feel in a position to challange their authority.

If the mother put the dog in it's place after the incident that is all well and good but it never should have been able to feel in a position to be comfortable to attack the child in the first place it is about responsible pet ownership and training, after the dog chews on your kids face it's too late.

If you step on a dogs foot, tail or whatever accidentally the reaction of the dog is usually to yelp and snap at whatever is causing the pain. I would hazard a guess that this is what happened in this case. Same as if you feel something sting your skin, your reaction would normally be to slap or hit out at the area that the pain is coming from.

I think to say it "attacked' is a little strong. The dog did what dogs do. It can't slap, it can't shout at the child. It can only yelp & bite. If the dog had "attacked " it would have done more damage and to have a go at the mum is a bit unfair IMO. A dog can jump & bite so quickly you can't even comprehend it. How do I know? Cos my son was bitten in a totally unprovoked incident when he was 18mths old. He had hold of my hand at the time & had called out hello to the dog. The dog [ a bluey ] launched itself a good 7 feet to bite my boy in the face. He had a gash on his top lip and left cheek, severe bruising on his chest from the dogs feet & banged his head on the wall behind us. He is 11 years old now & still wears those scars! The dog was not put down but it was not allowed near kids again [& I didn't visit the owners house again!]

I would say the word attack is fine, mauled might be a bit extreme but when you consider that yelling at someone is a verbal attack then attack is the correct word.

sorry if the dog was mine i would have shot it before the parametics got there .
i have a pitbull and each of my boys give her hell when they were little i had to stop them a lot
but she never looked like hurting them and she loves them so much
that no one can hurt them while she is near . she is verry old now my boys respect that
and respect all dogs but she has never hurt them.

Attachments

• ally.jpg
    ally.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 34
RobJo, you are a responsible person. "I had to stop them a lot"! Exactly. You protected the dog BEFORE she felt she had had enough.;) And the fact she is a patient dog, which not all are. [ BTW she is a gorgeous colour!] Channi, A verbal attack is not short & sharp. [ eg HEY YOU!} A verbal attack is a continued tirade of abuse accompanied by volume!! [ :evil: HEY YOU YOU STUPID #*>!. :evil: STOP THAT OR I'M GOING TO KNOCK YOUR #@%*>?! BLOCK OFF :evil: ETC ETC ETC} But now I'm just splitting hairs:p

An attack causes damage whether psychological or pysical, that bite caused damage therefore is an attack

Firedragon and others, the kid may have learnt his lesson, but what happens next time the idiot mother takes the dog out to the shops, ties her up outside the supermarket and the dog goes for another kid who 'hasn't' learnt his lesson??? My daughter is nearly 3 and has know for about a year to never approach a strange dog unless I say its OK - but many parents from non-dog backgrounds would never have thought to teach their children basic dog safety.

And I do believe that dogs which are specifically bred for hunting and fighting (pitbulls, tosas etc) should have restrictions placed on their ownership, in the same way venomous snakes are regulated; muzzled when in public places, kept in secure, exit- and entry-proof enclosures so kids can't get in and dogs can't get out. And I believe that ANY dog, regardless of breed, that shows a pattern of violent behaviour towards dogs or people should be destroyed.

I adore dogs and have had dogs as pets all my life, but realistically, they are NOT people, and if they endanger people's lives, for whatever reason (poor training , neglect and abuse as a pup etc), as sad as it may be, that danger should be eliminated.

Honestly, I don't understand the need for anyone to have one of these restricted dogs except as a status symbol (or for hunting, but that makes them effectively a working dog and they should be treated as such) There are so many breeds of dogs out there, I defy anyone to name one attribute that a pitbull has, that can't be found in another dog breed which won't cause as much damage if it attacks. Loyalty? Get a German Shepherd, border collie, or pretty much any breed of dog! Friendliness? Labrador, Golden retriever. Active and great with kids? Boxer, Jack Russell. Guard dog? Pretty much any big dog with a deep bark!

I don't understand what it is (apart from the ability to inflict horrific amounts of damage with excessively strong jaws) that is unique to a pitbull.

In the interests of full disclosure, the breeds I have owned include: Dalmation, English Pointer, Cocker Spaniel (mum's not mine!) and Labrador. :D

So does that mean we can destroy a person that sensesly bashes, torchers, harms or kills an animal, why are we any better than another living thing just because we're human.

You'd shoot your dog because you're a ****ty parent? I guess thats your idea of good ownership and responsible parenting... Certainly isn't mine, or the majority of good dog owners. If a dog truely does perform an unprovoked attack then euthanasia is an option... but not for this.

I don't think attack is the right word, the dog was defending itself. It was a defense, not an attack.

1. to set upon in a forceful, violent, hostile, or aggressive way, with or without a weapon; begin fighting with: He attacked him with his bare hands.
2. to begin hostilities against; start an offensive against: to attack the enemy.
3. to blame or abuse violently or bitterly.
4. to direct unfavorable criticism against; criticize severely; argue with strongly: He attacked his opponent's statement.
5. to try to destroy, esp. with verbal abuse: to attack the mayor's reputation.
6. to set about (a task) or go to work on (a thing) vigorously: to attack housecleaning; to attack the hamburger hungrily.
7. (of disease, destructive agencies, etc.) to begin to affect.
–verb (used without object)
8. to make an attack; begin hostilities.
–noun
9. the act of attacking; onslaught; assault.
10. a military offensive against an enemy or enemy position.
11. Pathology. seizure by disease or illness: an attack of indigestion.
12. the beginning or initiating of any action; onset.
13. an aggressive move in a performance or contest.
14. the approach or manner of approach in beginning a musical phrase.

An attack is when you START or BEGIN it. You are the FIRST thing in it. The kid pulled the dogs ears, the KID attacked. The dog DEFENDED.

Last edited:
mahahaha attack or defence i don't really care. The mother does not deserve to own that dog as she cannot control it. I am not saying that the dog should be put down it should be relocated. Get a grip people the dog "assaulted" the child in self defence, however, i would say that the dog used excessive force:rolleyes:. It is the mothers choice to keep the dog or not but I just hope she has learnt her lesson from this ugly incident.

Owning any type of dog regardless of breed is a big responsibility especially when you have kids. Kids can NEVER be left alone with a dog regardless of any situation and regardless of breed whether it be a pit bull, am staff, chihuahua or maltese x.

I own 2 am staff's and know the things that come with owning such a dog like getting dirty looks from people when i walk them, to getting remarks down the street when i go to the shops with my family. My favorite lines i get are "I would not own a dog like that with children" or the uneducated people who think they are pit bull's when they are actually fully sanctioned and papered am staff's, another good one "is do you fight him?" another uneducated thing about amstaff's they were bred to be a family dog not a fighting dog.

Anyone who has had anything to do with any pit bull that has a decent owner will say that they are some of the most loyal and family friendly dogs ever.

JessB if you have seen the actual reports about dog bites/attacks you will find the labrador and german shepherd on top of the list where as say a pit bull is not on top like most would have you believe. More than half the bites that occur are from MUTS that people try to make a dollar out of like crossing staffy's with whatever breed of dog there mate has or crossing labradors with german shepherds or any cross breed.

And where you say pit bulls have a horrific amount of jaw pressure you may want to know that the Rottweiler has the strongest jaw pressure then the german shepherd and the pit bull comes in at number 4 or 5 so that may be of interest to you as well.

I am not having a go at anyone in regards to what there believes are on certain breeds but it is no doubt 100% of the time the owner in the fault in regards to what happens with a dog. don't train them and they will jump, don't maintain pack order and they can try to be the dominant one in the relationship no matter what breed.

Sorry for the long post but with BSL being introduced and them trying to ban such breeds as staffy's, rotty's, german shepherds and a few other breeds it hits at my heart as i share such a bond along with my wife and kids with our beautiful dogs titan and betty we do not want to lose them to this legislation.

Cheers Ricky
here is a pic of my 3 little men Titan Hayden and Nickolas
titan_boys2.jpg

titan and Hayden
Titanandhayden.jpg

and my beautiful little girl Black Betty in a show
betsshow4.jpg

I wouldnt get rid of the dog either
i bet the kids learnt his lesson, my border collie snapped at my little brother because he was pulling its ears and just generally annoying the dog, the dog can only take so much, i bet if anyone pulled its ears it would snap, sure the baby didnt knwo better but i bet he knows now

mahahaha attack or defence i don't really care. The mother does not deserve to own that dog as she cannot control it. I am not saying that the dog should be put down it should be relocated. Get a grip people the dog "assaulted" the child in self defence, however, i would say that the dog used excessive force:rolleyes:. It is the mothers choice to keep the dog or not but I just hope she has learnt her lesson from this ugly incident.

Not sure if you've ever seen a dog but dogs don't have hands.

Dogs show when they aren't happy or angry with body language and then a nip. Which is exactly what this dog did.

In terms of dog behaviour it was hardly excessive.

I love it when those who know nothing about dogs attempt to discuss their behavior.

I actually know alot about dogs and i don't appreciate being talked down to by a know all. If the dog had bitten another dog there would be no issue. Get off your high horse and realize we the situation we are talking about goes beyond dog behaviour. If you knew any thing about children you would know that two years old is too young to be expected to know appropriate dog manners. If the mother cannot control her dog then she shouldn't have it. And i am sorry if i place more value on human life than k9 life. If a person did that to the child they would or should go to jail, I don't think the dog should go to jail or be put down it just should not be with children. Oh and here's a tip, just because you think you are smart it doesn't mean everyone else is stupid.

:x Why do threads like this always end up with people slagging off at each other just because they do not agree? It isn't necessary! We all have a right to express our opinion WITHOUT put downs or belittling comments being made! IMO adults should be able to debate an issue without getting nasty. Honestly people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lighten up.

PS. It is all about behaviour. The dogs, the child & the mother. There were no winners. Boy was wrong in hurting dog, dog was wrong for retaliating , mum was wrong for not teaching boy. Maybe even some of us are wrong for assuming we know what happened. Don't assume, it makes an *** of u & me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back