Mum backs dog, chides son for pulling ears before mauling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two is not too young for a child to learn. I work with kids and they are alot smarter than we give them credit for. My eldest daughter grew up with a few different breeds of dogs (german shepard, rottie & border collie x kelpie) since the day she was born, and by the age of two knew that if the dog growled leave it cause it has had enough, could tell them to sit, stay and shake hands. None of them ever bit and were some of the best gentle dogs around kids i have ever seen.

I think it's really silly to say that the little boy should have known better to pull the dogs ears, or that he has now 'learnt his lesson' and won't do it again. That's not how children work, certainly not at 2 years old. The boy's mother should have removed him from the vicinity of the dog if she felt the dog was getting irritated (which she must have known, because she warned her son to stop what he was doing).

All other issues aside (including BSL... that's not what this thread is about), the fact is that the mother should have done a better job of supervising her child's contact with the dog and she is solely to blame for the fact that he got hurt. To allow the child continued access to the dog is, in my opinion, extremely irresponsible. If the dog ends up attacking the child again she will have no-one to blame but herself.

I guess different people have different ideas about how to raise their children. If I had young children and my dog so much as bared it's teeth at them, it would be removed from the household without hesitation. Either that or locked in a dog run.

I actually know alot about dogs and i don't appreciate being talked down to by a know all. If the dog had bitten another dog there would be no issue. Get off your high horse and realize we the situation we are talking about goes beyond dog behaviour. If you knew any thing about children you would know that two years old is too young to be expected to know appropriate dog manners. If the mother cannot control her dog then she shouldn't have it. And i am sorry if i place more value on human life than k9 life. If a person did that to the child they would or should go to jail, I don't think the dog should go to jail or be put down it just should not be with children. Oh and here's a tip, just because you think you are smart it doesn't mean everyone else is stupid.

But Midol DOES know everything about dogs - didn't you read the dog thread not long ago! :rolleyes:
lol good call Channi... :lol:

I agree with Miss B, stoping the kid from torturing the dog would have been the best thing to do.

If a person is being attacked they can legally defend themselves with force, why should a dog that does this be killed?(retorical question).

as said, any dog can attack. little dog, big dog, friendly dog. any dog. i was attacked by my extremely friendly and beautiful mastiff x She was sleeping and I leant over to get something and she jumped up and bit my face. I know that I probably shouldn't have startled her like that, but in the end, my mum made me give up the dog to the RSPCA. It was extremely sad for me, but better in the end.
I think the mum should have done the same. Next time her son might not be so lucky.

Put down the mum instead of the dog, she obviously doesnt care about her child.

Wonder if people would change their attitude if the kid was killed by the dog.

agreed CodeRed

bet the mother would of killed it had it been a snake

It is very sad, but my ex-husband had a Wolfhound female, who had been a wonderful dog- MANY children had played with her, some bounced on her pulled her ears, etc. One day a child (about 8 yrs old) was left alone by his 'mother' after I told her the dog had pupped that day. This child had done all those things to her went into the place she'd had pups that day and he picked up the pup and drove it's paw into a piece of wire. The dog attacked him and bit his face.

The parents agreed the dog was not in the wrong and didn't ask it be put down. Then the mother came to the house again and about a week later and didn't supervise her child yet again... This time my ex-husband's dog grabbed the child as when he went near her pups and yet again bit him. Both times were quite savage.

This time they blamed the dog, and as soon as the oportunity arose the husband used a shotgun and shot the god so she died a slow and cruel death. In once sense I was probably relieved as after the first event she never tolerated children again, and had snapped at my friend's little girl who had done nothing wrong. I was also worried as I was pregnant with my first child.

The point to my story is, once the dog has decided it is higher up the chain than the child (which it would have gathered from the mother's voice), it WILL attack the child again. Unfortunately the dog needs to be either re-homed with the understanding it can't have children around, or destroyed.

My (then 3 month old) Red Smithfield Pup was being tormented by my 1.5 yr old son (at the time), she bit him, ON HIS HAND (I guess it was closer?). My partner and I STRONGLY disciplined the pup, and we also made DARN sure to watch them from then on and taught our son to be gentle... They are now best friends and even when he now lays on her and uses her as a pillow she does nothing. However should she or our other dog EVER bit any child, it WILL be killed immediately.

EDUCATION, DISCIPLINE, AND COMMONSENSE.

Last edited:
Your dog needs to be educated as a puppy, NO biting under ANY circumstances.

Your child needs to be taught NO annoying the dog, or yanking it's tail blah blah

and as a mother she should be supervising any dog with a child under seven years of age.

Mothers fault, not educating the dog as a pup/child and letting the situation get as far as it did.

Last edited:
I think it's really silly to say that the little boy should have known better to pull the dogs ears, or that he has now 'learnt his lesson' and won't do it again. That's not how children work, certainly not at 2 years old. The boy's mother should have removed him from the vicinity of the dog if she felt the dog was getting irritated (which she must have known, because she warned her son to stop what he was doing).

All other issues aside (including BSL... that's not what this thread is about), the fact is that the mother should have done a better job of supervising her child's contact with the dog and she is solely to blame for the fact that he got hurt. To allow the child continued access to the dog is, in my opinion, extremely irresponsible. If the dog ends up attacking the child again she will have no-one to blame but herself.

I guess different people have different ideas about how to raise their children. If I had young children and my dog so much as bared it's teeth at them, it would be removed from the household without hesitation. Either that or locked in a dog run.

Train children just as you do dogs. Good behaviour = reward, bad behaviour = punishment.
If you instill in the childs head to be gentle (ALL while being supervised) it will work.

Always having cases of babies sticking there fingers into the dogs dinner when nobody was supervising.

Happens too often.

Myself and my sister had a similar experience, we had a dog that 1st attacked me, pierced a hole in my cheek, and various wounds all over my face, including 1 that JUST missed my eye, but we kept the dog, big mistake, it often attacked my friends/neighbors etc. but didn't hurt them, just tried to, then my sister, after she got into her bed, which the dog wanted, and thought she was better than my sister, or higher in the ranking in the pack, and also mauled her face, but she got it worse than me, her mouth was ripped open up her cheek. The dog was uncontrollable but it was OUR fault as we hadn't trained her properly and she thought she was higher up in the pack. It was a very hard getting her put down.
Its the owners fault, no matter how much some one pulled my dogs ears, they would not bite, they would simply walk away.

This thread is ancient people;)

The mother is a complete moron... the child is two for crying out loud, of course he isnt going to listen and is going to push his boundaries. The mother knew that the dog may get "cranky" yet she let him continue knowing he my get bitten... and now she is blaming the child. Pfft she needs her head read. I can understand if the child was over 5-6yo but a child under that just doesnt fully understand. Obviously she loves her "dog" more than her son, if it were me the dog would immediately be put down or rehomed. My kids are more important than a damn dog.

mums a bitch, the kids two years old. TWO he'ss just be starting to speak understanable sentences, whether is was provocative or not. its not the kids fault.

does that make it less important...?

Chill out, just poining out that the thread hasn't had a comment in 12 months:lol: but suddenly it's so important:rolleyes:

Just a thought.... What did Children Services do?? They normally get involved when a child has been bitten by a dog.... She may have been forced to decide between the child and the dog very soon after... Hmmm... I wonder which she would have kept???

And yes, this whole thing is a bit pointless CONSIDERING it is almost a YEAR old.

Regardless of wether or not it is 12mths old, its people like this mother that are just so damn irresponsible that wind me up. The fact that she blamed her son for being bitten is purely discuscting. So many parents these days just dont 'think' enough or even at all as to why these thing happen to their kids. Sorry but 12mths later or not this parent is pathetic and needs to set her priorities straight. (this sort of thing hits close to home, hence my frustration)

I can't help but wonder why such a young child was playing with the dog with out adult supervision. If I were in that position i'd feel like a lousy mother for letting that happen in the first place. Poor kid

I agree, As far as im concerned your familys life should be first before any animal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back