Mutton Bird Oil?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
some people that own chapell island tiger snakes inject small dose's of mutton bird oil into there mice as in the wild they start off eating small chicks then growing larger to eat adult mutton bird. the oil in the birds help them to grow quick and large also helps them to digest there food and shed there skin. I probably wouldnt give it to other snakes.
cheers steve.

But don't these tigers only eat mutton birds for a very short time per year and the rest of the year they just rest waiting for the next season?

Thank everyone for your replies. So can anyone tell me if Cod Liver Oil can be used the same as MB oil??? It's just something that was in passing with another person in conversation about supplements etc!
I wasn't sure what it's all used for so I thought I'd ask and I knew I'd get varying results but thanks!

Cheers,
Mell

I know URS used to sell mutton bird oil at one stage but don't think they sell it anymore because of problems it can cause.

I've heard it can cause liver problems and other issues.

Hi Mell
IMO mutton bird oil is only for tiger snakes that live in the bloody cold country down south (Chappell Island)
and gorge themselves on mutton bird chicks for a very short time once per year

Our pet pythons that live in tropical Queensland have no need for this type of "nourishment"

Just my thoughts
Sandee :)

Thanks Sandee for that!

Ok so I've worked out that MB oil is mainly used as a growth stimulent etc......... BUT nobody has answered my other question... is Cod Liver Oil basically the same?

Cheers,
Mell

It is interesting to hear these thoughts about Mutton Bird Oil. We have a new range of products coming out next week and one of these items is Mutton Bird Oil. The supplier says it is used on reptiles that are not feeding, have had an illness or are stressed. I wasn't sure how it would go but I get a fair idea now! :lol:

Sorry Mell, I can't answer your question about Cod Liver Oil. :(

Cod liver oil would be diferent as it comes from the Cod's liver. Mutton bird oil is actually regurgitated by the mutton birds before their necks are wrung.

Cod liver oil would be diferent as it comes from the Cod's liver. Mutton bird oil is actually regurgitated by the mutton birds before their necks are wrung.

:shock::shock::shock: That sounds attractive Mags!!! hehehe!!

Ok so there's different things in the MB oil than the CL oil????!!!

Nightowl I was on the same understanding that this was used for unwell snakes etc that aren't eating well and this is why I ask as I had a maccie who had eating problems (which have been sorted) but this was recommended to me to help with growth due to the eating problem!

Recommendations for Vitamin D are EXTREMELY low - your snakes should be able to get adequate Vit D from being in the sun for 15 minutes per week!

Are you sure about this? I always thought and had been informed that snakes do not produce their own vit D. I was under the impression that they get their required doses of absorbably Vit D from the livers of prey items hence the reason why snakes do not need UVA/B.

Are you sure about this? I always thought and had been informed that snakes do not produce their own vit D. I was under the impression that they get their required doses of absorbably Vit D from the livers of prey items hence the reason why snakes do not need UVA/B.

It was based on humans for one and for two, humans and snakes do not produce their own Vit D and a combination of Vit D and UV would be sufficient - however the requirement of UV may not be for Vit D but more for 'mental' health reasons.

I just mentioned that Vit D was toxic in small doeses, I think that was the point of that whole post - sorry if you misread it.

No what i was saying was that snakes don't need UV to absorb vit D, i shouldn't have said produce. All of the required vit D is gained in an absorbable form from their prey's liver. Which is why whole prey items are very important.

I understand that large doses of Vit D are toxic, that's what killed the arctic explorers from eating dog liver.

Ooooooh... It's calcium that helps with absorption of Vit D - UV also may play that part to. The large calcium intake with full bodied animal digestion would be sufficient for your snake. The UV, as I suggested, may actually help with mental health - though this is not confirmed!

I thought Vit D was used to absorb calcium? I'm getting confused... might go to the pub soon and absorb something else through my stomach.

pffft - got me there now... i think you're right haha... well anyways, either way snakes don't seem to require UV

pffft - got me there now... i think you're right haha... well anyways, either way snakes don't seem to require UV

Lol i like to think i'm always right :lol:

Still trying to find a source that confirms that snakes absorb Vit D through prey's liver...

It's very much friday today - i can easily believe mixing that one up! Lucky I don't teach bio haha!

Oh my god are you 2 alright..... :lol::lol::lol:;)
I was sooo confused after that little conversation!! :lol:

Ok so are we talking about Mutton Bird/Cod Liver Oil or UV??????
Hmmm I just wanted to know wether people used them as a supplement with their food items or are there detrimental affects etc?

Please don't confuse a girl.. it's friday arvo and not quite beer o'clock!! :rolleyes:;):lol:

Cheers,
Mell

Most vertebrates can either absorb vitamin D from the diet or synthesize it in the skin from 7-dehydrocholesterol using energy from ultraviolet (UV) light of certain wavelengths (290-315 nm) in a temperature-dependent reaction. Thus, vitamin D is required in the diet only when endogenous synthesis is inadequate, as develops when animals are not exposed to UV light of appropriate wavelengths.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/182421.htm

I'll translate. Most animals synthesise VitD through the use of UV light and some other stuff which is why UV is important. Those that don't do this need to find an absorbable source of VitD which has to be whatever they prey on, I'm still looking but i am 90% certain that snakes (cause they don't need UV) find their VitD in prey livers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back