My beef with our gay rights!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people focus on the religious aspect of this debate way too much.

I'm a gay mother of a 6 year old boy who has chosen to attend a Catholic school. My family isn't Catholic but my son started saying he'd attend a Catholic school when he was 3, I explained the Catholic system to him and for two years he told me he wanted to be Catholic, so I tried have him baptised, I was turned down by our local church and then rang the Diocese who told me to ring the Cathedral Church, they were happy to baptise my son.

I was scared when I sent him to school, although the school was aware he was from a gay family, I had to sit with him and explain the issues he might face, I guess I would have had to do that no matter what school I sent him to.

My son's school is one of the most accepting places we attend as a gay family, they include us in everything, and even sent home two mothers day presents this year. Within my sons school and the Catholic church attached to it we are treated as any other family by staff, parents and children.

As for marriage, I've never been a fan of marriage at all but I know my partner would love to get married and I think she deserves that right just like everyone else. I think things are moving in a positive direction and all we need is for our politicians to start to listen so we can live in a society that treats all people equally.

Oh please.... how many children now have a stable family life? of 2 LOVING parents? Not many, speak to the kids at school and the majority will tell you of single parent life. How can 2 LOVING same sex parents be considered detrimental OR UNHEALTHY?. I am sure they will grow up to be more accepting and open minded and socially adjusted individuals.

It is healthier to have a GOOD example of a male and female parent... but the fact of the matter is there are few GOOD parents full stop. A good same sex pair of parents outweighs a bad pair of hetro parents... even just a satisfactory pair.

I don't know... the whole debate seems silly to me... sorry :p But people have a right to have what they want providing it is not damaging to others. It also seems silly that they aren't happy with being classed as official partners, but want marriage, when marriage is nothing more than a word once taken all other meaning from it. If marriage is no longer a religious thing... then whats the point? Im bi... if I had chosen to be with a woman that I loved dearly, it wouldnt bug me that we couldn't be 'married' by law. Im still free to have a ceremony and register us as an official couple under law. But then, Im not religious, so perhaps I dont get it :) Perhaps its more for those christian gays who want to be able to lead a normal christian life and have the rights of christian marriage as other christians do? :)

large portion of our laws are biblicaly based. stealing, murder, etc......do you wish to get rid of these coz the bible says it?

Ha ha, such a typical, religious response - ignorant of all the other factors involved. Can you really not predict my rebuttal? Are you really that blind that you think that laws against murder and theft are based on the same principles as not allowing gay marriage? Read that book of yours - I certainly have, and then tell me that you think everything that is stated in it should be imposed upon people.

I do not wish to continue this conversation with you, as if you cannot comprehend the flaws in the argument you just presented, then you're not going to comprehend anything else.

I am the most judgemental hypocrate i know, im shallow, unaccepting of opinions i dont like and am happy with it.

therefore im not going to say that peoples opinions are wrong/disgusting/funny/right etc because i would be here for hours and alot of people wouldnt like what i would have to say.

seeing as though this is an open forum and we are all expressing our thoughts on the matter i will say this. as a gay person i never want to be married. gay friends of mine get into arguements with me about gay rights because i brush it off and simply just dont care about it because my way of thinking is if governments dont want to give me the same rights as others im not bothered by that because i am different and would rather be different without being entitled to certain rights, i will learn to live with the dis advantages that come with that and be happy with who i am and what i do. being surrounded by gay friends i do feel sorry for them in certain situations which suck for them and feel as though i have to defend gay rights for them, hence my comments earlier today. it does make me feel sad for them but its not for myself.

everyone has their opinions, everyone is wrong.

I'm a gay mother of a 6 year old boy who has chosen to attend a Catholic school. My family isn't Catholic but my son started saying he'd attend a Catholic school when he was 3, I explained the Catholic system to him and for two years he told me he wanted to be Catholic, so I tried have him baptised, I was turned down by our local church and then rang the Diocese who told me to ring the Cathedral Church, they were happy to baptise my son.

I was scared when I sent him to school, although the school was aware he was from a gay family, I had to sit with him and explain the issues he might face, I guess I would have had to do that no matter what school I sent him to.

My son's school is one of the most accepting places we attend as a gay family, they include us in everything, and even sent home two mothers day presents this year. Within my sons school and the Catholic church attached to it we are treated as any other family by staff, parents and children.

As for marriage, I've never been a fan of marriage at all but I know my partner would love to get married and I think she deserves that right just like everyone else. I think things are moving in a positive direction and all we need is for our politicians to start to listen so we can live in a society that treats all people equally.
Great to hear your enlightning experience. It is a true example that religion and homosexuality are not mutually exclusive. This is real life, blended and respectful. A lot of people on here could learn from this.

Religion is the problem behind this "debate".
While your story is nice, their making money from you.
If i was running a business i doubt i would knock back catholic clients (even though i think poorly of them).

Thanks ozziepythons, I wish everyones experience could be as good as ours. It just highlights that things are changing and one day people may just be people regardless of sexuality.

Religion is the problem behind this "debate".
While your story is nice, their making money from you.
If i was running a business i doubt i would knock back catholic clients (even though i think poorly of them).

The way we're treated at my sons school isn't about money, it's about people treating people in a fair way.
I don't like grouping anything, I don't like "all gay people are like this" and "all Catholic people are like that". To say you think poorly of all Catholic people is just like saying you think poorly of all gay people.

Thanks ozziepythons, I wish everyones experience could be as good as ours. It just highlights that things are changing and one day people may just be people regardless of sexuality.

I believe that many people in all the different religions over time have been understanding and accepting of same sex couples, but in modern times we all talk about it and scrutinise the church over its stance on the issue.

Wallypod - like it or not, the Christian faith has changed over the years to be more accepting of certain practices, too. When I went to church, they told me homosexuality was wrong, too. When my mum went to church, they told her that going to the movies, rock music, and dancing was The Debil. When my grannie went to church they told her that not having her head covered was The Debil. It just seems to take the Church a lot longer to face their fears and be accepting.

You said before that you had no problem with a man loving another man, just that allowing them to get married would be an insult. That in itself is a religious compromise on your part, since the bible says that homosexuality is wrong, not just the marriage part. If the Church suddenly said that they had changed their minds and gay marriage was okay, what would you think? Some in the US already have.

My point is, some of the things that were considered right and wrong to the church-goers 50 years ago no longer apply. Times change, and everything isn't black and white, despite what religion would sometimes have us believe.

You're entitled to your opinion according to what your religion tells you to believe, and you're entitled to argue that opinion. But, it would have been silly to think your argument of "Jeebus said so..." was going to convince the OP and her gay son, or anyone else who has been through or seen a family member or friend go through the hardship of having your homosexuality accepted for what it is, that they are not entitled to the moral and legal privileges of marriage, just like the rest of us.

Why shouldn't gay people be allowed to get married? Or go to church and worship with the hetties? ;)

PS. The laws around murder and stealing were NOT based on the bible... do you really think that before the bible was written, it was socially acceptable to go around killing people?

as a gay person i never want to be married. gay friends of mine get into arguements with me about gay rights because i brush it off and simply just dont care about it because my way of thinking is if governments dont want to give me the same rights as others im not bothered by that because i am different and would rather be different without being entitled to certain rights,

Would your view change, if, say, you were unable to see your partner in the ICU in the event of an accident - because you were not married or related?
Or, later, if you have been with your partner for many years and were not entitled to your partner's super?

No criticism intended at all, I am truly curious.

One of the posts here said that gay people don't just want official recognition, they want to be able to 'be married'
I don't know about that, I do not think being able to get married is truly necessary, but I do believe they are entitled to the same rights married/defacto partners enjoy.

I also believe (in an ideal world) that children deserve the care and love of at least one parent, two is better.
If those parents happen to be the same sex, so what.

The way we're treated at my sons school isn't about money, it's about people treating people in a fair way.
I don't like grouping anything, I don't like "all gay people are like this" and "all Catholic people are like that". To say you think poorly of all Catholic people is just like saying you think poorly of all gay people.

The difference is, that a Catholic will hold the belief that you are sinning, and that your sexual orientation is morally wrong. They just may not choose to voice this opinion to you.

The difference is, that a Catholic will hold the belief that you are sinning, and that your sexual orientation is morally wrong. They just may not choose to voice this opinion to you.

Some Catholics may, but not all, I'm actually fine with people believing I'm sinning so long as they treat my family and myself with respect. I'm sure there are things they do that I wouldn't agree with too, that's just life.

no one is saying they cant love each other just that they should not marry

For some people the ultimate expression of love is marriage... Why can we as a society deem it acceptable that they shouldn't be able to do so? WHY ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT PEDOPHILES??? People that are gay (generally speaking as always) aren't going to come into your home and influence your children or you. If anything, allowing gay marriage will teach the next generation that tolerance is the key. If we don't allow it, and stay bigoted, where will it end? If you can't accept people that love each other, we as a society will fail. Even if we take religion out of the picture, why doesn't the law broaden the rights of a same sex spouse? Surely even someone that is religious can't say they shouldn't be recognised as at least being in a relationship.

Would your view change, if, say, you were unable to see your partner in the ICU in the event of an accident - because you were not married or related?
Or, later, if you have been with your partner for many years and were not entitled to your partner's super?

No criticism intended at all, I am truly curious.

One of the posts here said that gay people don't just want official recognition, they want to be able to 'be married'
I don't know about that, I do not think being able to get married is truly necessary, but I do believe they are entitled to the same rights married/defacto partners enjoy.

I also believe (in an ideal world) that children deserve the care and love of at least one parent, two is better.
If those parents happen to be the same sex, so what.

of course there are definitely dis advantages but im willing to live with them i mean i will lie cheat and do what i have to so that i get my own way but sometimes there will be things that will just suck. I couldn't possibly be bothered with it all as im far to busy wrapped up in myself.

Some Catholics may, but not all, I'm actually fine with people believing I'm sinning so long as they treat my family and myself with respect. I'm sure there are things they do that I wouldn't agree with too, that's just life.

I admire your maturity and acceptance of those who think differently to you. I'm very glad to hear they treat you with respect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back