My enclosure, all but done.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes

Reaction score
Well its nearly finished. The cage started life as a book self with sliding glass doors. All I have to do next is finish the hide. What you can see here is the top part of a water buff skull. I've cut it off for easy access but I still have to split the bottom half (nose cavity and upper teeth) as Bob still wedges himself in there. I'll join the bottom with a hinge so it will hold together but fold open to allow access.

345721.JPG

345722.JPG

345724.JPG

Mate, very nice. I hope ya gunn a pst more photos in a gallery and give us all the technical stuff that goes with your cage. E.g. What exactly is a "water buff skull", what the rock wall is made out of etc. And then make sure you show us again when it is all done.

Well Done!

Pete

Took me a while to get it too, but i think "water buff skull" refers to the water buffalo skull hide in the bottom of the cage.

Peter,
The enclosure is 3ft high by almost (not quite) 3 ft wide. The rock wall is from http://www.universalrocks.com.au/aquarium.htm
and is their "ledge" model. They are made from a latex material and I just used liquid nails to fix it to the back. If you go to the link and scroll down the bottom you'll see reptile water bowls. I 've got the small model but it has one fault, if you fill it up to the top the water tends to flow up and over the side due to capillery action and its a never ending job to keep it filled. I ended up buying the one you see in the pic and its much better.
The hide is a water buffalo I shot a few years ago and the plant is a grass type plant I got from dollars and sense for about $3. My brother is a sparky and he rigged up the thermostat and the fluro is on a 12 hour timer (he rigged that up as well, its good to have a sparky in the family :D )

love the enclosure, you've done a great job, i'm sure your snake will be more than happy to live in it :)

The particular model I got was around the $400+ freight, mark from a supplier in Darwin. It took me a while to save up I tell you :shock: .

Have a look on the link below, they have the same sort of thing but I don't think they would be as 3D as the style I got. That was the reason I went with the "ledge" more area for Bob to climb around on. I had to trim the side to make it fit the case, but that was easy to do. I then filled any gaps down the side with expandable foam and painted it brown.

http://www.canberraexotics.com.au/shopshow.toy?animalnid=35151&categorynid=6913

that is awsome whish i had the skill or the time to make my own yours looks brilliant the rock wall makes it look like the set up the zoo.s have

You don't need a lot of skill believe me, I don't have any!

I just spoke to my mate Yommy, who posts on this site,(his memory is better than mine, mines crap BTW) He remembers what I paid. The wall was $270 or there abouts. I said $400 before but I was using that crap memory of mine :oops:

The tools I used were basic. A jig saw, router, drill and some liguid nails.

All I can say mate is give it ago. Why buy something that you can make yourself.

Isn't a router something to use with computers?? And if nails were liquid how can you hammer them?? You say no skill needed. Well, tell that to an accountant!!!

Looks great Bakes. Out of interest, what is the rock wall like as far as cleaning uric acid decorations that the snakie applies?

Isn't a router something to use with computers?? And if nails were liquid how can you hammer them?? You say no skill needed. Well, tell that to an accountant!!!

ROFL mate, I know a few accountants and, sorry to have to say it, you are right there :)

:lol: Ahh ok :lol:

Bobs never dropped a land mine up on the rock wall for me yet so I cannot say for sure. They are designed as aquarium/reptile back grounds so I would think your normal cleaning routine would be ok. As it is rough, perhaps a small stiff brush may have to be used.

your enclosure looks really nice..you should be proud of yourself lol

Lily here. New enclosure looks fantastic! Well done. I'm sort of like an accountant, but since I became a herpy I've learnt how to use a hammer, a sawwer, a screwy driver (both Phillip and Flattie) and even a power driller! (Dad is so proud!).

Easiest way to own a GTP..... take a look at this enclosure, become ridiculously jealous and whoola - one very green toned person.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back