My enclosure so far, any ideas on what type of doors i should use?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabatron

Not so new Member
Reaction score
photo.jpg

This is my enclosure so far, was wondering if you guys have any advice or ideas about the enclosure and what doors would be easy and cheap to install, any other advice would be great, this is my first enclosure ive built hope you like it :)

Sliders are probably the easiest doors to install. You just glue the track on and sit them in and you're ready to go. I'd also suggest a litter dam at the front. It will make it a lot easier to keep crap out of the tracks (if you decide on sliders) and stop stuff falling out every time you open the doors

is the glass expensive though? could i use perspex?

What size is it? Don't use perspex, it's almost as expensive, it scratches easier, it goes cloudy over time and it bows if the sheets are too big

Great start. Make sure you silicone the edges to make them waterproof. As Saximius has said, glass is better than Perspex. Cover your light, put some heating in (thermostatically controlled) and put some perching and climbing stuff in there. I usually use wooden ladders made for parrots. They work well and are cheap. Show us some pics when you are finished.

alright thanks for the advice guys, ill be getting a thermostat next week most likely and some sliding door tracks aswell, ive got a huge sheet of double pane glass but i dont know if i can cut it? im a bit tight on money atm otherwise id go and get glass cut and all that jazz haha

If you shop around you could probably get a couple of pieces cut for under $100. If you do it yourself you gotta make sure you bevel the edges so they aren't sharp and stuff

Should be well under $100 for the glass. We just made an enclosure that is 2050mm tall and 900mm wide. It has 3 enclosures so 6 pieces of 5mm glass with bevelled edges for $120

what is a good shop for cheap glass, where did you get that done?

I just went to our local glass shop in my hometown in Melbourne. If you look up glass suppliers in the yellow pages you should have a couple nearby that you can get quotes from. Just remember to check the width of the channels in the tracks (I think the widest they go is 5mm).

The channels you can get come in 4mm or 6mm to suit the width glass you choose.

I got 5mm cowdry ones last time. If you use a litter damn at the bottom and another piece at the top you can minimise glass required, and also hide part of the heat globe as well. I got 6 pieces for one of my enclosures around the $100 Mark for 540x640 pieces

Gabatron it would help you know where you're located so people in the appropriate area could suggest glass places

If you can find 6mm tracks use them over 5mm. I have found getting 5mm glass a little harder to locate, as most glaziers i've spoken to start at 6mm.

im on central coast, but definately ill be looking up glass supliers tonight :)

Make sure you get a couple of quotes. It's surprising how big the differences can be

photo2.jpg

This is the enclosure after this arvos work :), the shelves are a bit dodgy but will do the job i think. ill be getting the quotes this w/e but was wonderng if anyone had suggestions on heat globe size/wattage taking into consideration the size of the enclosure and that it will be housing a jungle python?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back