My favourite hatchling of the season.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Pythons typically seem to grow to about 6-7', but 8-9' specimens aren't all that unusual. I believe they're usually underfed in captivity and if fed generously will grow to over 6' in their first year and quickly grow to be much larger than typical wild animals. I suppose this is a species you can choose the eventual size of. There's also talk of size differences between the NT and east coast species, but I can't claim any first hand knowledge of it.

I plan to keep a few of this season's hatchlings and already have a few people with names on them, so I can't guarantee any to anyone at this stage.

As Teamsherman says, the NT species is often said to be nastier than the east coast ones, and while I'd say this is generally true, there are definate exceptions. Most of the NT ones I've seen have been nasty, but I've also seen some lovely natured NT animals. I have a definate soft spot for the east coast waters :)

Jade is a lovely name for a water python! I must post some pictures of mine :D

Water Pythons tolerate trips into the garden as well as other pythons, but just like the others, they don't particularly like it. I find that Water Pythons feel secure while they're with me, if I'm hold them or they're around my neck (more so than carpet pythons) but if I put them down in the open, just like other pythons, they'll begin to frantically tongue flick, exploring their immediate surroundings and become extra alert. Many people mistake this as the snake enjoying itself, but it's more a case of the snake being frightened (most snakes don't sit in the middle of open ground during the day as they would be vulnerable to predators).

I've never put any snake in a bath.

This is Jade, Jade loves rats :)

I took this picture about three days ago, she is currently 51 weeks old (hatched January 1 2005).

Jadelovesrats.jpg

Snakes do so like trips to the garden! It's trips to the cinema and the shopping centre they don't like. Even the zoo tends to bore them. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back