Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trigger

Reaction score
I got back in town a day after I finished the latest Snakehandler course and got a phone call from a local. "Can you come out and move a couple of snake in my backyard?" "They're only small, and don't look dangerous." I didn't have the money at the time for a pair of tongs so headed out with a hook and bag.

This is what I walked into

Lucky me :rolleyes:

Attachments

• my first job.jpg
    my first job.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 935
  • first job2.jpg
    first job2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 823
Well done! I would have been a bit scared, just quietly. I'm a bit scared of snakes that aren't pythons... go figure?!!

It could have been worse. They could have been wedged in behind a washing machine or something.

tongs are barbaric if you have no idea how to use them, I don’t use tongs when I catch snakes nor do I use a hook either…I prefer the pinning down and grabbing behind the head method. Good on you trigger considering the snake you were up against.

P.S bugger using a hook with a nasty brown snake it would end up around your ears before you knew it...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
kicking.... honestly, a hook and a bag is all you need... they put you in the firing line for less time than standing there lining up a set of tongs and are much more forgiving in regards to error, sure tongs have their place, but are by no means the be and end all of hot handling.

Nothing like a bit of deep end therapy to get you started. My second was a cranky eb caught in a fishing net. Tricky tricky. Well done.

kicking.... honestly, a hook and a bag is all you need... they put you in the firing line for less time than standing there lining up a set of tongs and are much more forgiving in regards to error, sure tongs have their place, but are by no means the be and end all of hot handling.

I know mate, I only have hooks........ but Scared Duck's call was a little but 'ow's ya father....

Nasty comments toward someone who only wanted to share what was for them an exciting experience.

Both browns were sitting next to a rat hole by the concrete slab and when I approached they ducked in the hole like lightning. I'm arranging for a front end loader to lift the slab so I can get at them. I realize tongs aren't the greatest but they sure beat the property owners 12 gauge which was aimed in my general direction. I managed to talk the owner into buying some snake and mouse mesh to put around his property. Also learning to hook on browns is a bit rich. I'd like to get a bit of experience up first. Will let you know how I go.

Both browns were sitting next to a rat hole by the concrete slab and when I approached they ducked in the hole like lightning. I'm arranging for a front end loader to lift the slab so I can get at them. I realize tongs aren't the greatest but they sure beat the property owners 12 gauge which was aimed in my general direction. I managed to talk the owner into buying some snake and mouse mesh to put around his property. Also learning to hook on browns is a bit rich. I'd like to get a bit of experience up first. Will let you know how I go.

Mate even the most experienced catchers will not waste the time trying to hook Browns, specially up here in Brisbane, Brown + 40 degree day = put ya hooks away LOL but I take my hat off too you for having a go..

Its lucky that you had to pick up a lovely placid python, instead of a deadly brown!! :lol:

at least you has some harmless snakes on the first go. lol no deadly ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back