Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we jump up and down about one technique lets look at the whole picture:
Tongs: Potential to cause rib damage, internal bleeding and crush injuries
Pinning: Potential to cause spinal damage, internal bleeding, crush injuries and head injuries
Tailing: Potential to cause tail dislocation, spinal injuries
Hooking: Potential to cause minor rib injuries, punctured organs, internal bleeding, lack of control

Each technique has inherent risks to both the animal and the handler, yet people only comment on tongs....I know for a fact a well know TV personality has killed several snakes while attempting to pin and injured several more...that was on just one shoot....the technique you choose to use is up to you and the situation you are in......no single technique will work every time and only experience makes you better.

Many people commenting here have years of experience...and how do you get it....go out and catch them, but wait, people are saying NO dont do snake catching until you have more experience....where is this going to come from? With an increasing awareness of our reptiles there is a greater demand for people to relocate them.

From my own experience training people, most of them walk out wanting to either tail or hook, but they have learnt other techniques too, just in case they need them, very few want to use tongs unless they need to and this is usually dictated by the OH&S for their sites or by the government in that state. At least these people are learning how to work safely with the animals and are wanting to move them...rather than learn the age old technique of shoveling!

So true hey it really doesn't matter on the technique it's the fact that you're saving the snake's lives

I dont know how you train to hook ,but I only use my hook to allow the snake to slide up,it uses its own body weight to rest there whilst I grasp the tail and then before it even knows its in my bag ...I cant see how any injury can happen using this way ..I have caught plenty of firey eastern browns and very active red bellied blacks this way ..even tailing is done quick and in the bag ...I do agree about pinning and really try and never use this way unless I have no other method to use ,and in almost 6 years I have only ever used it twice both on eastern browns ,one was caught up in old carpet and one had been attacked by a shovel and was severly injured...TONGS well you already know my views on that subject so we wont go there ;)

My point is simple, all techniques carry inherent risks and if a person knows the risks then they are able to make a decision for themselves as to how to approach the situation, and just because a vocal group dont like a technique, does not make it inappropriate for the situation that the snake catcher finds themselves in........unless you are actually there then all you can do is guess at what the full picture is......people shouldn't be bullied into favoring one technique, they should be allowed to make their own mind up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back