My GTP ClickClack. Feedback, suggestions, tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileKev81

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to bring home my GTP hatchy in the next couple of months. Just waiting till it is feeding strongly.
Anyways, here is the clickclack I built.

Its a 7L Sistema Clip-lock tub. Using a soldering iron, I've put 1 row of air holes around the sides of the tub, and have also put a row of holes along each edge of the lid.

I made a little jungle-gym type thing from plastic coat-hangers, and have also put in a bendable rubber birds perch.
I've furnished it with some fake leaves from one of mums fake plants lol, she questioned where I got them, but i don't think she minds, hehe

I'm going out today to buy a water bowl for it. I also have a reptapet heatmat with built in thermostat/heat control which has my hot end sitting at 28 deg celcius Am I missing anything? Any feedback, suggestions, comments and criticism welcome.

Cheers
Kev
P2160313.jpgP2160314.jpg.

personally i dont think it will be tall enough for a GTP, those tubs are pretty shallow. i had mine in a 20L tall starmiad tub until i moved it into an enclosure.

Hi Kev i think you will have problems holding the humidity up with that amount of holes, personally i only put 3 - 4 holes at the cool end and 2 - 3 at the hot end as you will need to keep the humidity up higher to young greens. And you will want 30 deg air temp not floor temp for a young green. I personally think 28 is to low for greens, i give all my greens including hatchies a hot spot of 31 which they use everyday. Other than that mate it will be a very happy gtp with all the perches you have.

I have biggger and taller tubs I can use. I just thought they felt more secure in smaller tubs?
And I based my design on another tub that the breeder gave me which is smaller (4L).

Thanks Greenmad. I got it at 28c air temp. I'll adjust accordingly.
I also have many more tubs so I can start again with fewer air holes.

As for the perches I'm glad to hear s/he will like it. I thought maybe there was too much, but it is very easy to remove either setup from the tub.
Will move everything to another tub with fewer holes.

Cheers
Kev :)

Last edited:
Hi Kev i think you will have problems holding the humidity up with that amount of holes, personally i only put 3 - 4 holes at the cool end and 2 - 3 at the hot end as you will need to keep the humidity up higher to young greens. And you will want 30 deg air temp not floor temp for a young green. I personally think 28 is to low for greens, i give all my greens including hatchies a hot spot of 31 which they use everyday. Other than that mate it will be a very happy gtp with all the perches you have.

Without hijacking the thread, I have a question that a lot of newbies to GTP's and click-clacks might want to know. How do you keep an air temp of 30deg, with just a few loops of a heat cord, if you live in the southern states? I have kept for other species in click clacks and I find it easy to keep that 30deg on the floor but by the time you measure the air temp its back to ambient. Once again I'm not trying to hijack the thread I just thought it important.

Heres a pic the breeder (Bryce) sent me :)
428990_10150611709192722_548007721_8929953_16122064_n.jpg

I cant wait to bring her home :)
Anyways, just got home from PetBarn.
Bought a nice Exo-Terra Granite Bowl for just under $15.
Is much nicer than the fake plastic rock bowl I had for my MD

Without hijacking the thread, I have a question that a lot of newbies to GTP's and click-clacks might want to know. How do you keep an air temp of 30deg, with just a few loops of a heat cord, if you live in the southern states? I have kept for other species in click clacks and I find it easy to keep that 30deg on the floor but by the time you measure the air temp its back to ambient. Once again I'm not trying to hijack the thread I just thought it important.

I set the thermostat probe in the air, and not on the floor.
That way it will stop heating when the air-temp reaches the desired temp.
Give it a try, worked for me. I have a little probe which just goes into one of the airholes at the top, but when I had a bigger one, I would wrap the cord around a perch to keep it in the air

Last edited:

I use a rack with all of my young greens, the rack has no ventilation at the back and holds heat very well, i also use min holes in the tub to hold heat and humidity. I place the probe from the thermostat at the perch hight where i want the hot spot to be, not on the floor. I have also used tubs not in racks with a heat pad on top and on the bottom with a ceramic tile on top to hold some heat in. I hope this helped.

I use a rack with all of my young greens, the rack has no ventilation at the back and holds heat very well, i also use min holes in the tub to hold heat and humidity. I place the probe from the thermostat at the perch hight where i want the hot spot to be, not on the floor. I have also used tubs not in racks with a heat pad on top and on the bottom with a ceramic tile on top to hold some heat in. I hope this helped.

cheers for that. Kev, you can have your thread back.:D

Hi Greenmad,
I've got an identical plastic tub to the one in the photos above. So I put 3-4 holes in the cool end. And 2-3 holes in the heated side.
Should I place the holes in the side of the tub, or the lid, or both.
What configuration works best?

Cheers
Kev :D

Try starmaid 13 litre tubs with the blue handles, great height, and the humidity holds well with the right amount of holes.
724df34b-10ec-67e2.jpg

Hi Greenmad,
I've got an identical plastic tub to the one in the photos above. So I put 3-4 holes in the cool end. And 2-3 holes in the heated side.
Should I place the holes in the side of the tub, or the lid, or both.
What configuration works best?

Cheers
Kev :D

Hi Kev i personally put them in the sides.

Thanks for the info guys :D

I kinda knew my setup wasnt holding the humidity. During my test run, I would spray the tub down in the morning and it would be dry by early next morning.
With the humidity, how long should the wet and dry cycles be?

Also, Ned, can you tell me where i can purchase one of those starmaid tubs?

Cheers
Kev

i was told to only spray enough so that the condensation dries out within a few hrs.twice a day, morning and afternoon. too wet can cause more problems than too dry....so i've been told anyways. it's only my 1st GTP

sorry kev, i'll hijack ya thread too , to save starting a new one. humidity in my new enclosure doesnt drop below 60% and thats only spraying once a day. there's no condensation left on the glass or walls when i get home in the afternoon, but humidity is still around 70% all night, and gets to about 60% by the next morning......is that too much? should i add more ventilation

Last edited:
Thanks mate ;)
I actually planned to go to Big W this week, lols
I'll grab one when i'm there.
Cheers
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back