Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Magickal

Reaction score
HELP
My jungle has just shed but it isnt like all his other sheds........this has come off in pieces, not in one piece. There is also a lot of skin that will not come off easily.............His humidity has been good and we have been keeping him a tad wet so as to help him. We have used some shed aid and nothing seems to work very well..................

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and how I can fix it please

Thanks so much
Caz

my diamond python last shed some got stuck on her new skin so i just grabed a fash washer damped it with warm water and rubed it off. it its that hard try soaking him or her for 30 minutes to loosen the skin.

Miss M,
The cold dry air in the enviroment at the moment isn't good for snakes around time of slough, even though your snake is inside it can still effect things.
What is your set-up like, how much ventilation is there? You may have to cover up some of the vent holes around shedding time to retain enough humidity.
Have you thought about a humidity box within the viv?, sometimes helps if the snake can be bothered to go in it.

Was your snake shedding well up until fairly recently?

Neil

Yeah, house heating can cause a lot of problems at this time of year, i have to mist very regularly when anything is on shed atm.

What is "shed aid" is it a product or do you mean you have been trying to help him?

Hope he/she is okay. I agree it is very hard to keep humidity up at this time of the year. I found a very light rub down witha a warm wet facewasher helped one of my Jungles recently but it sounds like you have tried all the obvious things already.

Michael

Michaelh, shed aid is a product you can buy from most pet shops/suppliers that sell reptile products.

Cheers, Alan.

Miss Magickel, sounds like there was not enough humidity in the cage. The weathers pretty dry lately, so the humidity in the cage was probably a bit too low. Just add a larger water bowl placed under the light and that should improve the problem.

Miss Magickal, we find an easy way to help with a bad shed is to put snake in a damp pillow case for 15 mins. When it comes out, it will normally rub the rest of the shed off, or in extreme cases, you may have to lightly run your hand down it's body to help some of it come off. One of our Bhp's had the same problem this winter and we have increased water bowl and changed substrate to screened sand instead of BC to boost humidity.

Hey Everyone
Thanks so much for the help..............He has been shedding well up until now.......we were misting him three times a day and trying to keep his humidity up.........but might try the pillowcase thing though

just make sure the pillow case isnt to wet or the python wont be able to breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back