My New Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamR

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just bought my first reptile. I bought 2 very small henrylawsoni Dragons. I will add some pictures very soon, but first I had an accident when i got home and one of the dragons ended up with a cut on his side after one of the sticks in the tank dislodged itself. He seems to be walking around ok and the bleeding stopped quickly. We applied a little betadine, I was wondering what else I could do to help him.

I feel terrible, Ive played with wood in fish tanks for ages with no problems and the first night i get this one home a stick falls and hurts him. Not the start to herps i wanted, and im sure the dragon had planned a different day.

Adam

From what I've heard dragons are very forgiving creatures! Congrats on your new buddies!

Hey Adam, I just got a dragon that only has half a foot (like me in a way. Oops) They recover from this sort of stuff.

aww what a cutie (the dragon lol). Congrats on your newest additions and good luck with the herp bug :)

Dragon

Was it just a cut or a gash, you need to make sure he keeps dirt and poop out of it just to make sure it has scabbed over properly.
Good luck with your new little fellows.

It was a gash id say out of those two options. It bled a lot. The little fella is alive this morning. He hasnt eaten since i got him though (even before the stick incident) So i seperated him and gave him 2 crickets to chase in a little container. Hopefully that will help him. Any other advice?

Ps what type of fruit and vegies do they eat, Ive put banana in there and they havent looked at it

Adam

Dragon

Just make sure you keep the little guys gash clean. He won't appreciate it at first but persevere until it is healed. There bodies are so small!

Be careful with banana as I have been told it sticks to there teeth and can cause gum problems. Try little tiny pieces of peeled apple or soft fruits like peaches and nectarines. Bok Choy is a favourite of my Dragons and smashed peas :wink:

i got 5 barbata on saturday, they r so damn cute, i am planning on gettin henrylawsoni oneday, good luck with urs, baby beardeds need alot of food but other then that they are good starter herps, i have read that it can take them a while 2 start eating fruit and veges, mine havent touch theirs yet either.

John

OK for an update on how they are going. My injured one first. Both wounds have scabbed over and as far as I can tell he ate a cricket. I put him in a seperate container (Harriot the other one is a hungry, hungry lizard and eats everything I put in so Maxwell got none) with 2 crickets and when i came back there was only one... so maths would suggest he ate one. He seems to sleep and climb fine. My fingers are crossed that hes making a comeback.

How should I ensure the wound is clean. It looks ok, we put betadine on it yesterday as the seller recommended but due to the scab we didnt today.
Thanks for the help

Adam

Just make sure theubstrate doesnt contain anything that can stick into it, they will be ok, as for when they will eat fruit and veg takes a while just keep offering, i find mine only eat greens, i only feed my babies once a day ( a big feed ) and give them a day off every few days and they are doin great.

The substrate is crushed english walnut shells called Desert blend. Otherwise there are just some sticks for them to climb on. Well we made it through day 2 they are asleep and happy. Thanks again for the help.

Adam

The substrate is crushed english walnut shells called Desert blend. Otherwise there are just some sticks for them to climb on. Well we made it through day 2 they are asleep and happy. Thanks again for the help.

Adam

Harriot and Maxwell are fab names! Done well, AdamAre! :D Sounds like they are showing tonnes of character already,
or else you're just ultra-anthropomorpic like me. :wink: I'm relieved for you that Maxwell is looking ok.

Hi AdamR,
Great choice....henrylawsoni! We find when they are little we (use) the bearded dragon pellets (the one that you put water on) and put them in little dishes with them a couple of times a week.....they won't eat them straight away but they get used to it by being in front of them and then one day, could take a couple of months they will just start eating them. You can do the same with finely chopped veges, you will waste it in the beginning but it is worth getting them onto them.

Fay

Just a quick update on my little guys. My wounded one is a lot better. he walks with his tail up, he eats crickets, climbs fine and looks happy. I think i was lucky with this little guy. Im very glad I bought these guys.
Thanks for the help

Hey All,
I know this last post was a long time ago, but I just wanted to give everyone a follow up. My little dragon who was injured is now probably close to triple the size probably a little over 15cm head to tip of tail. Hes actually now the dominent lizard. He still has a tiny scar, but it gets smaller with every shed. They are good fun, getting much better with handling. So pretty much this is just a thank you for all the help and support I was given early on.

And as with so many other people this has been the fuel to begin the hobby, I spend all my time researching reptiles, my fish hobby is becoming slightly neglected. I hope to one day own some snakes (when the rest of my family can see my point of view) particulary whip snake families and the beautiful green tree snakes and hopefully one day something in the Pseudechis family.

So thank you all.
AdamR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back