my new lace monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaye

Reaction score
i got my first lace monitor last night i relly love it :D

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 161
Wow ! What a beauty, I would love to see a pic of your enclosure :) again ripper of a lacy!

thanx guys/girls the enclosure is something temporary as i grabbed him wen i could lol so i gotta do sumfin for an enclosure

Very nice, congrats!

I started my juvies in a 1200mm(L)x1200mm(H)x800mm(W), they'll use all available space you offer. Plywood (17mm) with a good, water based lacquer (several coats) is a good start. In an enclosure this size, I use a 250W ceramic on a good pulse proportinal thermostat (habistat) 24/7 for ambient temp (25c) with a MegaRay 100w and 2 x 75W halogen FLOODS (not spots) on a timer. You need a good hot spot of 50-60c (I've used up to 65c) and if you place said lamps approx 300mm from your basking spot (hollow log) you should achive this no probs. Importantly, don't forget plenty of hide spots all over the enclosure and 200mm of moist (but not wet) substrate for a bit of humidity. (I use cocopeat with good results). Also im,portant, if you want the experience to be a pleasurable one (for both you and the monitor) KEEP HANDLING TO A MINIMUM!! As he gets a bit of size and grows in confidence, he/ she will approach you....eventually. Patience is a vertue with these guys, I find. Feed chopped up adult mice and stay away from processed/ canned foods and meat for a well balanced diet.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

I.V.

good stuff. make sure u handle him everyday so he stays tame and easy to handle. My Girlfriend got mine to the stage when she puts her hand into his enclosure, he just walks straight up her arm. silly bugger wont do it for me tho, and im the one that feeds him

Awesome little lacey! Grats!

good stuff. make sure u handle him everyday so he stays tame and easy to handle. My Girlfriend got mine to the stage when she puts her hand into his enclosure, he just walks straight up her arm. silly bugger wont do it for me tho, and im the one that feeds him
Probably why he wants to eat you. lol

And imported _varanus, thanks for that info- comes in handy.

Although the usual taming method for most reptiles by frequent handling that snake_boy is suggesting can work for lace monitors (rarely), you will be better off listening to imported_varanus's advice. He is spot on, on all counts...

I'm suprised that whoever sold the lacey to you couldn't give you any basic husbandry advice? Regardless nice looking youngin.

Jeremy

Although the usual taming method for most reptiles by frequent handling that snake_boy is suggesting can work for lace monitors (rarely), you will be better off listening to imported_varanus's advice. He is spot on, on all counts...

I'm suprised that whoever sold the lacey to you couldn't give you any basic husbandry advice? Regardless nice looking youngin.

Jeremy

Every animal has its wild streak and by touching or handling animal you take the risk of something going wrong.

nah no name yet and thanx again shnakeygirl :) appreciate it
yeh snake boy i have been handling him alot since last night and he seems fine wif me just wants to run up me haha but some people are saying dont handle him i suppose time will tell wat is right i will try handling everyday and if it doesnt work i will let him settle wifout handling :) thanx again people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back