My new most hated animal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get channel bills in care often. You really need to feel sorry for the poor peewee who was trying to raise it as its mother layed her eggs in its nest. All cuckoos do this.

I loved these when i was at home, what used to keep me awake was the screaming peacocks that my sister has in an aviary right outside what was my window (it's her window now and the birds are being relocated lmao)

Well I'd rather have that bird than bloody bats fighting outside my balcony
I had that in winter but its gone now and has been replaced with this.
And trust me, this bird is way worse. Much louder and much creepier.

I don't know what you're complaining about, I'd do anything to have that making noise at night... All I've got is trucks,cars,backfires, loud arabic music and there has been "gun like" noises, but hey the Ibrahims are just down the road... I'm thinking of getting the loudest frog species possible to try to drown out the 'city"...
I have bushland behind my house but just behind that is a highway. So I get all the car noises your talking about as well as the birds.

Channel billed cuckoos are a crafty bird! they lay their egg in another birds nest. The egg they lay is laid to be of similar size and colour to the "host" nest so as to not be rejected by their new mother. The cuckoos egg has a shorter incubation period to their host bird, being first to hatch, the young cuckoo wedges the other eggs between it's "elbows" behind it's back and one by one rolls them out of the nest!!

The cuckoo then eats all the food it can get and often outgrows its "foster mother".

No sleep last night, was kept up by the world's most irritatingly loud, horrible bird ever.
This morning, done some research and found the culprit for the hideous call.

Channel Billed Cuckoo, Scythrops novaehollandiae
The world's largest and noisiest cuckoo.Want to hear just how annoying it is? Click on this link for its call (hope this link's allowed?)
http://birdsinbackyards.net/images/audio/scythrops-novaehollandiae.mp3

Channel billed cuckoos are a crafty bird! they lay their egg in another birds nest. The egg they lay is laid to be of similar size and colour to the "host" nest so as to not be rejected by their new mother. The cuckoos egg has a shorter incubation period to their host bird, being first to hatch, the young cuckoo wedges the other eggs between it's "elbows" behind it's back and one by one rolls them out of the nest!!

The cuckoo then eats all the food it can get and often outgrows its "foster mother".
Their host is the crow. Crows hate them for obvious reasons and will mob CBCs any chance they get. Sometimes you can see crows mobbing CBCs at a huge height.
We are currently in the middle of keol city, there must be 8 (parasitized wattle bird) nests nearby. I like the sound and considering we have flocks of sulphurs and corellas who fly by most mornings they are one of the most pleasant morning birds. Kookaburra on the balcony at 4 are not so welcome, perhaps I shouldn't feed them ;)

I must have been reading about a different type of Cuckoo, apparently the channel billed do not eject the host eggs or kill the young, but because they are larger they can muscle in and get most of the food.

Their host is the crow.
Near us they lay in the local currawong's nests. The currawongs got away with it this year though, & raised their own little pied babies. And the noisy miners still do a gallant, yet largely ineffective effort at driving off the channel bills when they drop in.

I love the channel bills & koels (rainbirds) heralding the start of the warmer weather, & much prefer to hear them any time of day or night than the garbage imports like the indian mynahs, starlings etc.

lol, we have 1 that starts in the wee hours of teh morning,...im half deaf so i dont notice it, until my bf jumps up screaming something about that f-ing bird,...so now we call it the f-ing bird hahaha :)

I cant say i have heard them.......but i was expecting something much worse when opening your file! You should come for a sleepover at my place........between our cockatiels & ring neck.......you have no hope of sleeping past 4.30-5am. & prior to that.......its either the wild frogs or my feral kids! ;):lol:

So that's who makes that noise. I love them birds. :D I didn't know what they looked like either, so thanks for the photo Ramsayi.

We have one here that sounds worse than that - I think its a wattle bird, not sure, but I might check that site out and find out :D

Last edited:
Just got woken up by one, but it's okay since its light. Doesn't seem as scary in the light lol
I'm now sitting outside trying to spot one since I could clearly hear one pass my window but what do you know, once you get out and look for them they shut up hah

Their host is the crow. Crows hate them for obvious reasons and will mob CBCs any chance they get. Sometimes you can see crows mobbing CBCs at a huge height.
Just read this, very interesting. Explains why I always hear crows cawing when the cuckoos are around.

Last edited:
Managed to spot some at 5am this morning, they are quite impressive looking birds. A small flock flew overhead being chased by some clearly aggravated ravens. The cuckoos were silent for once, only making a slight clicking noise with their beaks.

Theyre still here, and instead of flying over doing their usual 5-6am call, theyve ROOSTED outside and are now calling all day and all night. For the past 4 nights in a row Ive been woken up at 3-4am and not been able to get back to sleep, and its taking its toll, to the point Im begging my mum to let us move house.

THATS WHAT THAT IS! There have been several nights I wanted to hunt down the bird responsible and choke it to death LOL I am a very light/poor sleeper, I hear everything :(

learn to sleep with ear plugs, I'll admit it takes a while to get used to them, but once you are, the best sleep ever! you don't ear bugger all! wooo! haha

No sleep last night, was kept up by the world's most irritatingly loud, horrible bird ever.
This morning, done some research and found the culprit for the hideous call.

Channel Billed Cuckoo, Scythrops novaehollandiae
The world's largest and noisiest cuckoo.Want to hear just how annoying it is? Click on this link for its call (hope this link's allowed?)
http://birdsinbackyards.net/images/audio/scythrops-novaehollandiae.mp3

I just played that tape and my poor husband who is lying asleep beside me leapt out of his skin lol

I dont even notice them these days, the neighbours of course claim I introduced them to the area along with all the other wildlife as there wasn't any around before I moved here. They even rang NPWS and the council.
If you know which tree it is set the hose up so that you can go out and squirt the tree. It will fly off. This always worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.