My snake died & i want to know why before buying another

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anti_feminine

Reaction score
Ok, 5 months back I bought a month old stimsons python. He has shedded twice since I had him. The first time he shedded, he wouldnt accept any food I gave him. The second time he shedded, he didnt eat again and this is when he died.
However, a day before he died, I bought him a heat pad, which u stick to the bottom of the tank on the outside. The lady who sold me the heat pad told me to put a cave over the heat pad, to create an 'oven' which will heat the snake all over, and not just on its belly. I did this, even though I thought it was against the snakes natural instincts (hide and cool down & come out and heat up).

After a night of the 'oven', he seem very thin and disorientated. I tried to feed him, but he wouldnt eat (as I said, he was shedding). I put him back in his tank, but I moved the cave to the opposite end, to create a cool spot for him to hide. He still seem very woozy, but I left him over night and the next day, he had died.

Please help me to find out why he died and to prevent the same thing from happening again! I love snakes and I wish to get another but I dont want the next one to die.

When you bought the snake did they mention what he was eating? Many snakes that age will refuse certain foods. Also; what were you feeding it?

The best way to find out how he died ould be to take it into your local vet for a autopsy - which is worth doing.

waruikazi: The only way to describe is that he seemed like he was on a high. his head was swaying, when he rolled on his back he didnt flip himself back up, and he didnt seem to be able to concentrate enough to climb a log

Australis: I live in Cairns, Far north Queensland, so it is fairly humid and hot most of the time and the pet store said in summer, no additional heat would be needed, but in winter, they suggested the heat pad. I have a UV light placed on top of the cage.

When you bought the snake did they mention what he was eating? Many snakes that age will refuse certain foods. Also; what were you feeding it?

The best way to find out how he died ould be to take it into your local vet for a autopsy - which is worth doing.

When i bought the snake, they were feeding pinkies, and I also fed him pinkies

Mate i would suggest taking it to a vet for an autopsy. Neurological symptoms like that can suggest OPMV which is BAD. I would say that y ou shouldn't get another snake for atleast 6 months and inform the people you bought it from and any other keepers who have visited your house.

When i bought the snake, they were feeding pinkies, and I also fed him pinkies

Hmmm... so was he on live or frozen?
And how many feeds did he take in the time you had him?
It's unfortunate that you didn't take him in for an autopsy, especially under those circumstances.

Mate i would suggest taking it to a vet for an autopsy. Neurological symptoms like that can suggest OPMV which is BAD. I would say that y ou shouldn't get another snake for atleast 6 months and inform the people you bought it from and any other keepers who have visited your house.

What is OPMV? I am new to the whole snake thing

Hmmm... so was he on live or frozen?
And how many feeds did he take in the time you had him?
It's unfortunate that you didn't take him in for an autopsy, especially under those circumstances.

I fed frozen pinkies thawed out in hot water, as suggested by Pet store. The snake would feed every 8-9days since i got him

It's a virus infection.... very deadly - i didnt even think to consider that though, but a valid explanation indeed.

I fed frozen pinkies thawed out in hot water, as suggested by Pet store. The snake would feed every 8-9days since i got him

So he was feeding - its just that a lot of younger snakes have feeding troubles and I just wanted to rule that out for other readers and contributors.

How was he being heated before you bought the heat mat?

I live in Cairns, Far north Queensland, so it is fairly humid and hot most of the time and the pet store said in summer, no additional heat would be needed, but in winter, they suggested the heat pad. I have a UV light placed on top of the cage.

I read the information OPMV and it says

'The time from exposure to death can range....'

Does this mean exposure with other snakes? Because he had had no contact since birth til death with any other snakes.

Stimmies don't need UV as they are nocturnal anyway.

If you have your heat mat connected up to a thermostat you don't have to worry about guessing temps etc. They need a warm spot of around 30-32C and in houses or on cool days it often won't get to that temp in their enclosure. A thermostat will turn off when the correct temp is reached and back on automatically when it is needed. I would always use one to regulate temps. If he wasn't feeding (am I right there?) that could well have something to do with it...

Yes and no. It means the exposure to the virus. That does not only happen from snake to snake contact, if a person has handled an infected snake and then another one it can be passed that way.

Stimmies don't need UV as they are nocturnal anyway.

If you have your heat mat connected up to a thermostat you don't have to worry about guessing temps etc. They need a warm spot of around 30-32C and in houses or on cool days it often won't get to that temp in their enclosure. A thermostat will turn off when the correct temp is reached and back on automatically when it is needed. I would always use one to regulate temps. If he wasn't feeding (am I right there?) that could well have something to do with it...

He had been feeding every 8-9 days since i got him, but when he was shedding he wouldnt eat for around about 12 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back