My snake died & i want to know why before buying another

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no. It means the exposure to the virus. That does not only happen from snake to snake contact, if a person has handled an infected snake and then another one it can be passed that way.

Before Monty (my snake, not a very original name), I had only every handled one snake, and that was 8 years ago. Could the snake have caught the virus from the Store handlers, even though he was there about 6 mnths ago?

When you thawed the pinkies; how long did they sit exposed for? Like did you thaw them out and feed them straight away or did you leave them for a while beforehand?

Absolutely. The virus can take a very very long time to kill a snake. OPMV is not the only possible killer but it is one to keep in mind and i would try and rule it out before getting another snake so it doesn't happen again.

When you thawed the pinkies; how long did they sit exposed for? Like did you thaw them out and feed them straight away or did you leave them for a while beforehand?

I thawed the pinky, let the water drip off for 5 secs then fed it to Monty

Absolutely. The virus can take a very very long time to kill a snake. OPMV is not the only possible killer but it is one to keep in mind and i would try and rule it out before getting another snake so it doesn't happen again.

I have him in a container and I'm going to take him to the vets tomorrow for an autopsy. If it is OMPV, I'll let the store that i bought it from know

I have him in a container and I'm going to take him to the vets tomorrow for an autopsy. If it is OMPV, I'll let the store that i bought it from know

So when was his death?
Hopefully the body is still preserved well enough to be able to get all aspects reviewed.
Good luck, and I'm sorry about your loss.

So when was his death?
Hopefully the body is still preserved well enough to be able to get all aspects reviewed.
Good luck, and I'm sorry about your loss.

at the moment it is 6.40pm on the 10 of April 2008. I left yesterday morning (9th of APril and he was alive), at 8am and came back today at about 5pm and found him dead.

HI mate very tragic news. I had a similar thing happen to me I took the dead python to the vets for an autopsy, the vet sent samples to idexx for a pathology report it came back suspected opmv unfortunately in australia they do not have the right gear or some thing to test for it properly. once i got the results and done some research and found out how bad opmv is i burnt every thing and started all over again.
best of luck

at the moment it is 6.40pm on the 10 of April 2008. I left yesterday morning (9th of APril and he was alive), at 8am and came back today at about 5pm and found him dead.
i would suggest cleaning everything the snake has come in contact with. get some f10 and clean everything. someone may be able to suggest a better disinfectant to use.

how hot did the "oven" get.
i have never experienced it but i was told by a vet and other people that generally when a snake overheats they get lethargic...

edit: did u have a thermometre /thermostat?

how hot did the "oven" get.
i have never experienced it but i was told by a vet and other people that generally when a snake overheats they get lethargic...

edit: did u have a thermometre /thermostat?

I didnt have a thermometre or thermostat. I dont know exactly how hot it go but it was around body temp. he wasent boiling. My dad rekons the snake may have over heated and got dehydrated.

I didnt have a thermometre or thermostat. I dont know exactly how hot it go but it was around body temp. he wasent boiling. My dad rekons the snake may have over heated and got dehydrated.

no thermometer?!

there's one place where you went wrong - never own a reptile without some way of knowing the temp of their enclosure.

yeah my guess is overheating... even if it did feel like body temp while u were there, what about the hours u werent there

When you put a heat mat under a hide you should provide anothe hide which is not heated so the snake has a choice to be warm or cool. If you dont the snake will normally choice the saftey of the hide irrespective of the temperature of that hide. I would be supprised if at night a snake would stay in an oven/hide as outside should not be threatning at night. Just how hot does this oven get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back