my snake tank is too cold

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

striker321

Reaction score
hey, i recently bought a 4month old coastal carpet, and he is living in a 13L click clack, i have a 14watt (reptile one) heat mat, and the temps are always fluctuating from as low as 23 degrees Celsius, to as high as 34 degrees Celsius??
If anyone could shed some light on why this is happening it would be much appreciated thankshttp://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...hMy4Cg&usg=AFQjCNESLZgrrUZ3Sx0eFV17EkBTtCOyPw

Ummm... the same way it would work with any heating device - control fluctuations. The best type of thermostat for a heat mat is a switching one. Get one asap.

You will always be fighting a losing battle trying to get temps right in a click clack not to mention heat gradients. Try a thermo or ditch the click clack altogether for a proper setup.

like ben said but the temps dont have to be perfect mine change consistently and in the wild the temp isnt always perfect so dont stress but dont over cook your snakes and make sure there is plenty of heat if you have fed them

like ben said but the temps dont have to be perfect mine change consistently and in the wild the temp isnt always perfect so dont stress but dont over cook your snakes and make sure there is plenty of heat if you have fed them
+1 people worry too much about exact figures. We wont die if we are not at 25 degrees celsius , all animals will be alright over a wide range of temps even reptiles. It's only prolonged extremes that are a problem

I have a thermostat on my heat mat, and the warm end also fluctuates between 24-31c its fustrating, is there nothing i can do to prevent this?

But hes always in the Cold end rarley goes to the warm end. the only heat source im using is a Heatmat, no basking lights.

CML is yours a click-clack as well? You might just have too much ventilation which would makes it much more sensitive to outside temp fluctuations. As JPN said though, some fluctuation isn't a huge deal so long as they get the warmth they need most of the time

I have a 7 watt heat mat in (should probably say under) a 7L click clack, with a thermostat (dimming one from hiss n bits, plan is to use it in bigger enclosure for heat lamps) and my temps range in the hot end from 28 (only gets this low when hubby puts the aircon on and it's set to 1 8 to 35, it spends most of the time around the 30 to 32 mark. It took a bit of fiddling with the setting on the thermostat, but now it's fine.
My cool end ranges from 25 to 28. Charlie happily moves between the different ends depending on what he wants.
If I didn't have a thermostat I think my temps would be up near the 40 mark, which would be scary!
You really need to get a thermostat.

i have 3 click clacks inside 1 enclosure with an infra-red Heating Globe overhead. i've found being inside a tank or cabinet helps keep fluctuations down while still getting a steady gradient. the only issue i have is because they all are different distances away from the globe they all have different temps. but they are only 1 deg differences (29-30-31)

this way i only needed 1 thermostat and 1 light instead of 3. and for the moment its suits me untill the snakes put on some beef and can go into their bigger enclosures.

i have 3 click clacks inside 1 enclosure with an infra-red Heating Globe overhead. i've found being inside a tank or cabinet helps keep fluctuations down while still getting a steady gradient. the only issue i have is because they all are different distances away from the globe they all have different temps. but they are only 1 deg differences (29-30-31)

this way i only needed 1 thermostat and 1 light instead of 3. and for the moment its suits me untill the snakes put on some beef and can go into their bigger enclosures.

How have you set it up so there is a gradient in the click-clacks? Is the heat on 24/7?

The way I'm picturing it is they are all directly under the heat globe which is heating up the entire click-clack? Unless you have some long containers..

No its in a vivarium, i havent got the exact sizes on me its just under a meter long roughly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back