Mystery authors.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you sound like me annie XP i love reading, if you like really fictional stuff, try James Patterson's Maximum Ride books, theres The Angel Experiment, Schools Out Forever, Saving The World And Other Extreme Sports, The Final Warning, MAX, and a 6th coming out march sometime Fang. Its a really quick read though, heres some info on them. Maximum Ride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PD James, PD James, PD James!!!!

She is brilliant. Old school. Same detective in all her stories -Detective Adam Dalgleish of the Scotland Yard. Also a published poet (the character Dalgleish, not the author).

She wrote back in the days she had to write under the name PD James so no one knew she was female. The original Patricia Cornwall.

I reckon it'd be just your cup of tea.

I see others have recommended Dean Koontz. Not sure 'out there' gives the right idea. A lot of his stuff is pretty R rated, but i loved it when i was a teenager. He is more like Stephen King.

If you ever want to dip into "chick-lit", I recommend Marian Keyes. Very cute stories.

PD James, PD James, PD James!!!!

She is brilliant. Old school. Same detective in all her stories -Detective Adam Dalgleish of the Scotland Yard. Also a published poet (the character Dalgleish, not the author).

She wrote back in the days she had to write under the name PD James so no one knew she was female. The original Patricia Cornwall.

I reckon it'd be just your cup of tea.

I see others have recommended Dean Koontz. Not sure 'out there' gives the right idea. A lot of his stuff is pretty R rated, but i loved it when i was a teenager. He is more like Stephen King.

If you ever want to dip into "chick-lit", I recommend Marian Keyes. Very cute stories.

Have you ever read Children of Men by PD James? Totally different to all her mystery stuff but still amazing.

And totally agree, Marian Keyes is the best of the chick-lit writers.

Have you ever read Children of Men by PD James? Totally different to all her mystery stuff but still amazing.

And totally agree, Marian Keyes is the best of the chick-lit writers.

No! but when i saw the movie my jaw hit the floor when the credits rolled and i saw her name! it was a brilliant film, i should read the book.

Another one to ad to the list is The Godfather. I havent seen the films, but the book was spectacular.

Oh and just for fun if anyones looking for a good read: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is really sweet, and pleeeeeease read The Time Traveller's Wife before the movie comes out! :D

Oh, and Tom Robbins is also one of my faves! Jitterbug Perfume, Still Life With Woodpecker, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues...... many more, all brilliant....

Dick Francis does a reasonably good detective novel...plus he is an aussie into animals...I believe he used to be a jockey...anyway my wife loves him.

No! but when i saw the movie my jaw hit the floor when the credits rolled and i saw her name! it was a brilliant film, i should read the book.

Another one to ad to the list is The Godfather. I havent seen the films, but the book was spectacular.

Oh and just for fun if anyones looking for a good read: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is really sweet, and pleeeeeease read The Time Traveller's Wife before the movie comes out! :D

Oh, and Tom Robbins is also one of my faves! Jitterbug Perfume, Still Life With Woodpecker, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues...... many more, all brilliant....

The book of Children of Men is quite different - less action and more tension and also more thoughtful and interesting. I found the movie disappointing so I would definitely recommend the book. It reminds me a bit of The Handmaid's Tale.

Time Travellers Wife is just gorgeous - but make sure you have lots of tissues!

I can't believe you love Tom Robbins! I have only met about two people (apart from my husband) who have read his stuff! Jitterbug is our number one alltime fave book - we had the opening passage as a reading at our wedding, my husband has a beetroot tattoo and I'm still waiting to get my perfume bottle tatt! Also, check out the names of our pets!

If you want to try something a little different, but still pretty much within the specs you listed, check out the "Night Watch" novels in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. They are, in order, "Guards, Guards", "Men at Arms", "Feet of Clay", "Jingo", "The Fifth Elephant", "Night Watch" & "Thud". "The Truth" and "Monstrous Regiment" are also Discworld novels with a "mystery/twist" element. You may also enjoy Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" series of books.

i've read feet of clay, thud, and i think i've read night watch, and am reading monstorours regiment, all great books i recommend them 2 any1, niot exactly murder, but there are some killings. and "pyramids" by terry pratchet has a bit of mystery in it.

Will

ohh and if ur into war books, "youngest anzac" or something like that is alright. cant remember who its by, sorry about that.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back