Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to why anyone would need medical attention for a keelback bite??

Bacteria...infection. If its a colubrid Id just wash with soapy water/antibacterial soap an rub some neosporrin on it. I wouldn't exactly "seek medical attention" unless you couldn't id the snake, then treat as a hot, maybe.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Wow... fantastic pics!! Do you have a website or have other pics we can see??

Thanks again everyone. I was set up to photograph small birds at feeding/bathing site. The lighting was by external flashes fired remotely. Snakes have come past for a drink sometimes while I'm shooting, i generally keep well away from them tho I do have a carpet snake living in the roof. they make a racket when mating...:lol:

I have a website, - i normally do sports (horses, cycling) but document local wildlife in the paddock
web address is Kevin Coppalotti

p1023731699-5.jpg

p942531065-4.jpg

p647931562-4.jpg

p882799425-4.jpg

Really nice photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

Telling an amateur to check the scales on the head is silly IMO. The easiest way to tell a Keelback is the unmistakable smile, and as you were able to get very close and get a great shot of the head it's very very easy to tell.

Living in gympie i'm suprised this is the first one you've seen, they're like rats on a warm humid night.

love the photos you take man!
what kind of kit do you use?

I use a variety of cameras but with the keelback i used a panasonic fz150, coupled with canon flashes placed off camera. i was photographing birds from a birdhide at the time.

Yes it is a keelback as said before the diference beetween the rough scale and the keelback (keeping terms simple) there is an extra scale in between the eye and the nostil as this one does.
The loreal scale is actually located between the preocular and the postnasal scale, this could be what you were trying to say but I just thought I would be a bit more specific.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back