Native Title and endangered species(poll can choose more than 1 option)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it OK with you for endagered species to be killed under native title

• yes

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • yes, but the laws should be the same for everyone

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • no

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • no, I dont think any protected species should be on the menu

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • no, the laws should be the same for everyone

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Do you think it is ok for endangered species to be killed under Native Title? see poll, you can choose more than one option

Last edited:
Yes, as long as they do not go overboard and kill everything it is fine, we took their land and that is how they lived before that, it is their right

Absolutely NOT. If the animal in question was in pesty, plentiful numbers it wouldn't be considered endangered. Don't help lose our endangered fauna.

Our Murray-Darling carpet pythons are on the decline in the wild. are you going to kill them and help wipe them out?

Aboriginal people use python organs as medicine they believe in it as a cure to certain diseases, you can't argue with their remedies from thousands of years in this land (weather or not their remedies work is doubtful) However On their own they are not going to endanger any reptile species, Endangered animals are put there by modern causes, cars, development ect, ect

I'm not too sure on this one. My thoughts run both ways.

On one side you have the point of view that endangered animals are listed as endangered for good reason. Additional hunting could be catastrophic for said species.

Then it swings. Coories have been here for some time between 60,000 and 100,000 years.

In 219 years WE (non- indigenous) have effectively destroyed this continent. Approx 50% of forest, woodland has been felled, reasulting in massive erosion / washout gullies, habitat loss, countless species being wiped out etc.

Then there is the indroduction of exotic flora and fauna species. How many species have cats and foxes brought into extinction, either assisted or directly? How much damage have other feral species caused. Pigs, goats, camel, horses, buffalo etc. What diseases have they brought in and what has the impact been!

What is introduced plant species doing to native flora?

Now take into account human impact.

After the massive impact that we have had on this country I don't really think we have a leg to stand on and try to dictate to the aboriginals what they can and can't hunt, how to live their lives, where to live etc.
Don't forget that aboriginals were classes as Fauna until the late 60's. After every attempt by the government they were nearly wiped out, in Tasmainia they were. Those who remained were placed in reserves, had everything taken from them, usually by force, including families.

Even now we keep on taking.

These are an ancient people who deserve so much more respect than new people of this country has ever given them.

Im fairly sure they can kill whatever they want, dugongs and greenturtles are some examples. Also my favorite reptile the Yellow spotted goanna (varanus panoptes panoptes) where it is being wiped out by toads, that is actually what inspired me to start this thread. IMO they could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak, if some of the goannas start to adapt. I dont have any problem with ppl eating species that have a secure status.

To seperate aboriginals from non aboriginals regarding the destruction caused by intrducing species and land destrction is common misconception, its just over time things stabalised to coexist with their destructive practices and they were the only ppl here when dingoes where introduced. I personally dont see any point being racist and saying we did this they did that we are all ppl. The fact some aboriginals still kill endangered species proves that they are no more environmentally rightous than any other race.

The fact that there are also other bigger threats is also irrelevant.

Aboriginals rapidly caused the extinction of many species when they arrived, long, long ago. The species which they were able to exterminate were wiped out so long ago that we don't see it happening now. After a few thousand years things stabilised (that was many tens of thousands of years ago), and after that time they lived in an environment at steady state, not at all a case of them living here with an environment which wasn't being affected by them. White people came along, and did much the same thing, but it's still very early in the time of the white people, so we're still seeing the effects. If we jumped about 50,000 years into the future, we'd be able to say "Look! White people have been in perfect balance with the Australian ecosystems for tens of thousands of years! They're in perfect harmony with the place".

We are not living in the past, and the rules of today need to reflect today's situation, not the situation which existed many thousands of years ago. It's all fine and wonderful to say "They were here first, let them do what they like", but in some cases that just might lead to species, or at least populations, being exterminated. If it's sustainable, fine, let them eat whatever they like. If a species genuinely is endangered (and many of the officially endangered species are not, while some of the genuinely endangered species are not classified as such), then no one should be allowed to kill them for food. Australia isn't a place where it's easy to starve to death and we don't need to resort to killing endangered species. Culture is important, but maintaining cultural practices shouldn't be allowed to extend to wiping species out.

Definitely yes. It's their right to live the way they always did.

So white people should continue to wipe out other races, the way they always did? Or is it a good thing that they modified their behaviour? Wiping out other races of people is in the cultural heritage of many races.

As they always did? You say that like they've lived here forever.

Political correctness has gone too far. How can people be against Japanese whaling but for native people killing dugongs? We have to stop tip-toeing around, these animals are endangered, conservation is the key, and in some cases every animal is important.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to hunt and kill endangered species, regardless of their cultural background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back