NBN roll out

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasssss

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so as plenty of us would know there is a bit of talk going on about whether or not the NBN roll out should continue

as i work on the upgrade it affects me a fair bit and has been the topic of discussion lately (every one wants to know if the cable they are putting in there house will ever be used :)

so i figured i might see what people on here think about the upgrade

should it go ahead or should we switch to this other cheaper method instead

interested to see peoples views on this so please all input is welcome (by me anyway ;) ill save my thoughts on this for a little later

cheers thomas

You should never build a road that only just copes with the traffic at that point, you always build it for future traffic flow so why should the NBN be any different.

Australia is effectively in the dark ages tech wise compared to other countries despite Australia being in a better economical position than others. We also pay for downloads rather than connect speed. In the US you pay for being connected at a certain speed, like ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, etc. Here you pay for 20gb, 50gb, etc.

The NBN is essential infrastructure that may not suit everyone's needs now, but in 10 or 20yrs, will be essential for growth even in remote areas.

The NBN is essential infrastructure that may not suit everyone's needs now, but in 10 or 20yrs, will be essential for growth even in remote areas.

It's actually getting to the standard of the rest of the developed world. When its finished, we'll already be behind everyone again.

Also I think its vital in remote areas now! I'm stuck with really slow internet when I only live one street past "suburban" boundaries for Melbourne. I'd hate to see how bad it is for some others further out!

God i want NBN so bad.... :(

I say roll it out. We need it to even start keeping up with the rest of the developed world like thesilverbeast said.

4g would be pretty promising if it was all over the country aswell... since we are throwing around tens of billions for the cable roll out, whats a few more on an epic 4g network? :)

What NBN? Isn't that just reserved for those living east of the Western Australian border? There is nothing national about it. It's poorly designed, it is not going to deliver on it's promises and our grand children will still be paying for it.

Regards

Wing_Nut

What NBN? Isn't that just reserved for those living east of the Western Australian border? There is nothing national about it. It's poorly designed, it is not going to deliver on it's promises and our grand children will still be paying for it.

Regards

Wing_Nut
what do you mean its reserved for those east of WA ? ill admit that i dont really know whats going on that side but a quick google and using the nbn roll out map thingy it appears that WA have services and are underway ? be it that they may not be turned on yet

please elaborate , how is it poorly designed ? what promises will it not deliver on ?

The NBN is being rolled out last in WA. It is not going to offer affordable high speed broadband that it originally claimed. It will be over 60% more expensive than adsl2 prices initially. A lot of WA iS only going to be covered by wireless with substantially slower speeds. Yes they have started construction in some areas but it's unlikely to be operational fully until 2019. 1/4 of the NBN is funded by WA GST revenue and we will be the last to see the benifit.

Regards

Wing_Nut

The NBN is being rolled out last in WA. . A lot of WA iS only going to be covered by wireless with substantially slower speeds. Yes they have started construction in some areas but it's unlikely to be operational fully until 2019.

Regards

Wing_Nut
Surely if this is the case you will not be paying the higher prices for a faster internet until you get the faster speeds? Where has this information come from? I have not really looked too much into it yet.

Wy not just build a more affordable wireless network everybody. Go to be cheaper than laying 000s of kms of cable. We have too few people and too much ground to cover which is why we pay so much more than the rest of the world.

I live in Sydney and don't expect to see it for a couple of years yet, so I doubt WA is missing anything.

I vote for the NBN as it stands.

The problem with wireless is that it chokes up when you get high traffic. I know - I am using a 3G/4G wireless modem now and it drops out a lot more than is forgivable for the price I pay for it. As a result, it's not a very reliable solution.

There are things to criticise about Labor's NBN, but those same criticisms apply three times over to the Coalition's version. Even the supposed cheaper cost of the latter is doubtful because they intend to retain copper wiring that's already nearing the end of its useful life and will require a lot of maintenance.

You should never build a road that only just copes with the traffic at that point, you always build it for future traffic flow so why should the NBN be any different.

rubbish, a road is built for current traffic, and then needs upgrading in a few years: this upgrade boosts employment during the roadwork and makes money for the directors of the private company that get the gig and cushy future jobs for the pollies that award the tender to friends who are the directors of said construction companies...

rubbish, a road is built for current traffic, and then needs upgrading in a few years: this upgrade boosts employment during the roadwork and makes money for the directors of the private company that get the gig and cushy future jobs for the pollies that award the tender to friends who are the directors of said construction companies...
Yes that seems to be actual case most of the time but there was a "should" in there.

agreed

It's actually getting to the standard of the rest of the developed world. When its finished, we'll already be behind everyone again.
Completely and 100% incorrect. Fibre optic to the premises is absolute fastest possible until we develop FTL technologies. Unless you are talking about the oppositions version, in which case it is like building a Sydney harbour bridge which can only carry one horse at a time.

Also I think its vital in remote areas now! I'm stuck with really slow internet when I only live one street past "suburban" boundaries for Melbourne. I'd hate to see how bad it is for some others further out!
Then you have four choices
1/ Wait for the NBN.
2/ Ask Telstra to be nice to its rural customers ;)
3/ Shift to a better location.
4/ Suffer. Preferably in silence. :)

Wy not just build a more affordable wireless network everybody...
Whenever the alternative suggestions involve the words wireless or copper, you know the suggestion is either political or completely lacks technical knowleadge

I'm lucky enough to be living in Armidale and using NBN, and now I'll never be able to go back. the internet speed back at my parents place nearly kills me when I visit ;)

some good points , most of which id agree with

RENENET- you have touched on a very good point , one that i didnt think anybody here would think about (unless they to are in the industry or know a bit about it

the alternative suggested , as you pointed out also involves using the existing lines , this IMO is one of the biggest flaws , as you said alot of the old lines are buggered and need replacing

now that sounds easy enough doesn't it , replace the line bobs your uncle , THIS IS NOT THE CASE new trenches to houses will still need to be done in alot of cases , why?

A) alot of the old lines run up inside the house and are not very accessible , this is still ok in some houses but some it would be a very time consuming costly process anyway and digging a new trench can be quicker and easier

B) if you have ever worked in an industry that involves you trying to use these old underground lines you will know that there is a very low success rate in some areas , this is because some areas when the pipes are old the ground may have moved slightly over the years or something else has happened to break the existing lead in (the pipe taking cable to the house ) making it very difficult/impossible to use

C)they also leak at the joins and become clogged with mud and that causes a similar problem to the above

to all those out there who are whining about how long it will take , you have no idea :rolleyes:, Rome wasn't built in a day , maybe you should take up a job on an underground crew doing the lead ins to peoples houses (which is what i do ) then you can see first hand what we deal with

im not saying i have the hardest job in the world but there are alot of things hidden beneath the ground that you dont know about until you find it and face the problem , by then the trench is dug and you can only divert coarse the slightest bit as the like the line to be as straight as possible

yesterday we got about halfway through a lead in , only to find that some fool had gone and buried about 20 railway sleepers stacked up on each other at 700mm deep and about 10m long
then theres the builders , im begging to form a grudge on builders , , so if theres any builders on the site STOP BURING YOUR CRAP AT THE JOB SITE :evil:

one of the other big things that is slowing the project down IMO only is a lack of communication and organisation throughout both the head honchos and government all the way down to the guys like me

cheers for reading if you made it through that ;)
thomas

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Thomas. Very interesting. I can only imagine how ropable you and the crew were when you ran into those sleepers. Maybe you'll find buried treasure one day instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back